Monday, May 10, 2021

Anti-Murphy Organizing

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Anti-Murphy Organizing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    oldhead
    Participant

Anyone got anything to say?

Julie Greene, MFA
    Participant

Oldhead this is what Yvonne pointed out on the Tenney show a while back and I think she’s right. At the time, Congress was stalling on it so much that we didn’t think anything was going to pass at all. She said even if it did pass, they do not have the funding to implement it and it’s going to be either not implemented at all, completely ignored, or so badly implemented that we get financial disaster and more across the board complaints, that is, massive amounts of people coming to their senses.

That said, taking the long view, this could mean a more rapid road to a social turnaround. We do not just need a change in the laws but we have to change the way society thinks. I see that change as happening as a result of multiple factors.

For instance, technology has changed us. The widespread use of the cellular telephone and its various features and “apps” changes how we think. This has been massive change and no one really considered it, they only considered how convenient it would be to call home when you are out.

If Yvonne is right the clinics, which will now contain a good 50% of the population (especially minorities, women, elderly, and children) will be overloaded even worse, the organizing will be poorly done as usual, the clinicians will be the usual incompetents we have seen for decades, and all this will lead to the people affected, which will be even more, saying “We’ve had enough!”

Then we will see very big changes! I can only hope I live to see it.

oldhead
    Participant

That’s the same logic I remember people using as far back as Nixon: Vote for Nixon because he’ll be so repressive the people will have no choice but to rise in mass opposition. Didn’t work. When you’re being beaten down day after day and all your friends are too it doesn’t necessarily inspire resistance, it can just as easily lead to hopelessness and defeat.

People were saying on this forum a few months ago that Murphy had no chance, now it’s on it’s way to rapidly becoming law. The system plants these ideas in people’s heads to lull them into inactivity.

I don’t know the answer, but I believe together people here could come to some sort of collective approach.

Julie Greene, MFA
    Participant

There’s the underground railroad idea, which was done during oppressive times such as in Nazi Germany and the rescuing of slaves from the US South. I know of organizations you can write to and state that you are applying for refugee status because_______. and you say why. I have seen these forms. Some ask for pictures if you think they are relevant, or for documentation of the horrors you are running away from and seeking asylum elsewhere.

I had this idea a while back. This one group looked very promising. They focused on humanitarian ideals and didn’t claim the USA was the great haven of Freedom. Some of these organizations do, of course.

I wondered if some of us sent in applications, say 10 to 20 from USA that were received simultaneously. All citing abuses that could be plainly stated or shown in pics and stating that if that person stayed he/she would only be facing more abuse. The applicant would be seeking asylum elsewhere. The requests would be reasonable. These could also involve drugged children and their parents who want to free them.

Just to see those applications would raise eyebrows.

oldhead
    Participant

I wonder if Amnesty International might come in handy in some of the most outrageous cases. Tina Minkowitz is probably the go-to person regarding international law, though I’m sure she’s swamped.

Anyway thanks for trying to help jump-start this thread, keep mentioning it when you post on the main site.

Julie Greene, MFA
    Participant

Oldhead No way do I want to sit back and do nothing, however, we have to see how the cards play out and then make our next strategy. Some of us have more clout than others and many have done amazing things that really take off. I’m thinking right now of Dorothy Dundas’ poster. Now that’s amazing work.

I’m also thinking of writing a poem or short prose poem as similar collage using a mix of text lines quoted from “staff” and then getting it published. Inspired by Dorothy’s work. Wow that brings anyone to tears.

Even the best writers and publishers cannot truly control the public’s behavior which may frustrate the heck out of us but the amazing thing is when some unpredictable, wonderful thing happens, like when an unknown mom writes a Facebook post about getting an anonymous, offensive note about her kid.

It goes the other way too.

Julie

oldhead
    Participant

Sure, I’m not discouraging anything.

We don’t need to “control” public thought & can’t. But we can do things to focus attention on the many contradictions of “mental health” ideology and draw people in on an emotional level to the point where we can reach them with logic.

I think we’re not going to have an organization in place in time to confront the Murphys this fall. That doesn’t mean that we can’t come up with some effective strategies and principles which represent us well enough for individuals or small groups to engage in activities or actions without central coordination, but which nonetheless would be considered representative by all of us as a collective. But it would be good to see some mass events as well.

As usual, first we need more people here.

Julie Greene, MFA
    Participant

I’m not on Facebook and I don’t plan to return in the immediate future. But I can inform my contacts, who then can inform theirs.

oldhead
    Participant

FB, god no, that’s the last place we want to be discussing strategy, it’s a tracking and surveillance site. But sure, contacts can come from anywhere.

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

I don’t know about strategy, but social media has become indispensable to organizing efforts. There is a Facebook page, for instance, put up by “consumer”/survivors on the Murphy bill. My understanding is that many protests, such as the one that brought down the Egyptian government, utilized social media sites such as Facebook. The Occupy Movement, too, has made much good use of social media. I myself have been responsible for organizing a couple of protests in Florida, and I couldn’t have done so without Facebook. I don’t know about discussing strategy, but as far as planning events goes, I’d call Facebook essential.

Julie Greene, MFA
    Participant

I would agree but I cannot use it personally anymore. Maybe on a professional level when my new book comes out to publicize. What I find a nuisance is that I can find pages but cannot post questions on event pages without a personal account. And the darned “friends” technicality gets to me, as I don’t mind the friends, but sometimes their friends are people I cannot trust (and they can’t, either). Plus the “happy families” pics get to me.

oldhead
    Participant

If people want me out of this discussion then take it to Facebook.

Not addressing you in particular Frank, but in general I would consider it highly irresponsible to send psychiatric victims to Facebook. It is a surveillance site (are you denying this?), and the sorts of sensitive information, personal and otherwise, that we sometimes need to discuss is not something we need in government/corporate data banks. FB is ok for announcing public activities. Otherwise it would be the worst mistake we could make. Why make it easier for them to identify us and round us up for some extra “help”? Fortunately I believe a significant # of people here would avoid Facebook a matter of course, but in any case it would be unfair to expect people to use it in order to participate. You’ve no doubt heard the comment about “smart phones,” that they are tracking and surveillance devices that also make phone calls, this is just the same.

Facebook can tap your phone calls:
    http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/05/24/expert-warns-facebook-could-be-eavesdropping-through-your-phone/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Dangers of Facebook (A fundamentalist/right-wing oriented site, but the links it provides are real): http://www.remnantofgod.org/facebook.htm

Why social activists should never use Facebook (by the developer of Linux):
    https://www.rt.com/shows/sophieco/snowden-leak-privacy-surveillance-093/

PS Didn’t you say you were at one of the SmithKline demonstrations in the 70’s? The internet, much less Facebook, didn’t even exist then, somehow we managed to pull it off using telephones & snail mail. The more sophisticated the technology the easier it is to penetrate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by oldhead.

HOUSE FLOOR VOTE ON WEDNESDAY JULY 6!!!
    https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqextranet/view_newsletter.aspx?id=151779&c=PA18TM

I will attempt to call my congressman. Hope others will do this too.

oldhead
    Participant

SHIT!!! They’re taking advantage of the July 4 hoopla to catch people hung over, unaware and unprepared. Ain’t freedom wonderful?

oldhead
    Participant

SHIT!!! They’re taking advantage of the July 4 hoopla to catch people hung over, unaware and unprepared. Ain’t freedom wonderful?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.