Monday, April 12, 2021

Anti-psychiatry Website

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Anti-psychiatry Website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

If we are going to get started why not start a website now!

First we need a name for the site, a home, and a format. There will be some small upfront costs for the registering and hosting, not much but who/how will it be paid for? I am on disability and don’t have a penny to spare or I would pay for it myself. I can shop around to find the best host and get a basic price.
    As for the format I would suggest we use Joomla CMS (Content Management System) which is endlessly expandable as the site grows and it has a LOT more to offer than does say WordPress.
    Joomla is FREE but improved layouts, designs, etc. can be purchased for a fairly decent price.

I could set up a testing site on my home computer where all new layouts, features and functions could be tested before releasing to the public, so I need Administrator’s access in order to upload, assign rights to others, etc. Who else would be admins, managers, publishers, authors?

I assume we would want a forum on this site, so what would starting forum topics be?

There will be a hundred more questions that pop up quickly so either post them here or email me at “darcypeal AT gmail DOT com”

I suppose you are wondering who the hell I am. I am a 54 year old male with a psyche history starting at around 22 years old. I am currently on disability and spend 8-16 hours/day reading on the Internet. Although I have read hundreds of blogs on MIA I never post out of fear that anything I say I will not make sense or will miss the point, this is due to the psyche “medications” I am still on and brain damage from same. I am pissed off, to say the least, at the damage psychiatry has done to me and others, it must end!

Due to me being a little slow due to the above I would definitely need help creating a website. Any volunteers?

Have a great day everyone! Hope to hear from you soon!

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Hi, I’m 55 year old woman on disability with 15 year experience of abuse by psychiatry. I’ve been clean (off their drugs…LOL) for 2 years now. It feels just like withdrawal and cleaning my system of any street drug to me.

I would be glad to help with website. I have nothing to lose and must put action to my energy of fury. I know young kids being abused as I was by the mental health professionals. It must be stopped.

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Hi Terri thanks for offering your help. It will be needed if this gets off the ground.

Frank started this parade so I would like to know what he (and Uprising) thinks about starting a site. We would have months to prepare it before it is ready for public use, so we don’t need to worry making everything perfect on the first try. It will be a process.

Darcy

Darcy Peal
    Participant

As for the independent anti-psychiatry &/or survivors’ website — an idea that quit a few people are interested in despite it being broached only recently here — it is vitally important that any site purporting to serve the movement have a clear, unequivocal anti-psychiatry perspective, as well as a professional look and functionality, and that it be as secure and respectful of privacy as possible. It should also be put together as democratically as possible. That people are volunteering to work on this is encouraging; on the other hand we don’t need a few individuals taking the initiative on behalf of the movement and suddenly introducing “our” new site without bothering to achieve a wide consensus on basic principles. It’s much wiser to take the time required to do this right than to constantly be doing damage control to resolve conflicts that could be avoided in advance. I strongly endorse (without their previous knowledge or consent) Frank and Uprising being part of this process, if they’re up for it.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Getting swamped, don’t have much time. I think it would be fine to have an anti-psychiatry website, I don’t think anyone should worry about speaking for the whole movement. No website can be “official,” so I just think people should try to make it as well-formulated as possible. There is no way to please everyone.

uprising
    Participant

Hi Darcy and welcome! I’m happy to see this discussion happening and the enthusiasm you bring to it.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Hi uprising, thanks for the welcome.

It will be difficult to gain momentum since the forums are still rarely used, so if everyone who makes a post to a blog could mention the forums (when it makes to) it would really help everyone.

Have a great day all!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Darcy Peal.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Darcy Peal.
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

Hi everyone. Have any of you seen the layout of http://www.toxicpsychiatry.com it is simple and straight forward and is easy on the eyes it was made using Squarespace.

I hope you will post links to sites that have a good design as well.

Also we will need a logo and although this is often designed with the site’s name in mind hopefully it will get you thinking about possible designs.
    One consideration is that the favicon (the icon you see your browsers tabs) is very often a small version of the logo (but not always), so keep in mind how your logo will look when shrunken to that size.

This forum topic should also cover content to a large degree as that has a large impact on the final website design.

I was going to submit “Toxic Psychiatry” as a possible website name but obviously I found out that name is taken, so keep submitting your ideas. A site name (organization name) with a great acronym would be awesome.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

I found the following website name suggestion at: https://www.madinamerica.com/2014/09/our-movement-needs-and-alternative-to-the-alternatives-conference/

Fred Abbe on September 24, 2014 at 3:10 pm said:

Why don’t we call the anti psychiatry organization or a branch of it by a name which has the best chance of gaining huge public approval . Like maybe the NAAPOP

The National Association For the Advancement of People Oppressed by Psychiatry

(and try our best to live up to every thing that that implies) I believe it would naturally also grow in other countries . With the previously posted statement of principals of the organization old head was part of and in my opinion with an added point advocating medical/health freedom. To hopefully cover us from psychiatric oppression delivered by those other then psychiatrists like AMA doctors or any one else .This is just a suggestion.

oldhead
    Participant

So thanks for your interest in all this. Slow is fine, in fact it’s better because there are so many factors involved in creating a good website. Web stuff is not my personal cup of tea but I recognize the need for a site that all anti-psychiatry folks can go to to connect with the anti-psych movement. It’s worth taking the time to do it right and to make it inclusive enough that there will be no question about where to go for anti-psych information. I think competing sites would be a bad thing and see no need for folks to keep re-inventing the wheel.

I’d suggest that you keep mentioning this project and inviting people to join; I know there are quite a few people who consider this important. When there are enough people to do the work and to make it a diverse and democratic effort (i.e. more than 3 or 4 people) then more specific discussions can ensue regarding format, etc.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by oldhead.
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

So hurry up and wait I guess.

I don’t intend to sit around doing nothing until more than 3 or 4 people join. There is much do to in setting up a site than most people realize, so I will just keep plugging away on the site myself.

I will set up a demo site which will have very limited functionality but It will serve to demonstrate some basic features.

BTW: Avoiding “anti-psychiatry” in the site name would be a prudent choice as the very word conjures up images of an institution run by overzealous wing nuts. It is also a very poor choice as far as Google Trends rates it.

uprising
    Participant

Avoiding “anti-psychiatry” in the site name would be a prudent choice as the very word conjures up images of an institution run by overzealous wing nuts.

Not to me.

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

I strenuously disagree. Utilizing anti-psychiatry in the title to the page makes all the sense in the world. There are all sorts of “overzealous wing nuts” who immodestly use the word psychiatry, or the words mental health, if not “peer” support, or recovery, when throwing up a website. I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t proudly do the same.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Points taken. Thank you!

Darcy Peal
    Participant

I found the quote below here: https://www.madinamerica.com/2014/07/anti-psychiatry/

Richard Lawhern, Ph.D. (MIA Author) on August 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

… I suspect we have amply confirmed the earlier observation that many of those in the anti-psychiatry movement are so polarized that they will accept nothing less than abject surrender from those with points of view other than their own.

It is unreasonable to expect psychiatry to shrivel up and die overnight. There will be stepping stones along the way which must be used, if not we would quickly be blasted back right to the status quot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.