Monday, April 12, 2021

Anti-psychiatry Website

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Anti-psychiatry Website

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

Seems as if I have to relearn a lot of my website building skills even though I have years of experience. Isn’t iatrogenic caused brain damage wonderful.

I have decided to diagnose myself since no psychiatrist or PCP would ever dare utter such a thing.I have Chronic Brain Impairment (CBI) caused by drugs or more specifically:
    Poly Psychiatric Drug Chronic Brain Impairment. (from Peter Breggin’s website) But I know the docs will just say it is caused by pre-existing illness, that have nothing to do with psychotropic drugs.

Enough of my rant, I will still keep plugging away at getting a demo site up and running.

Have a great day all!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Darcy Peal. Reason: credit added
    CuriousTerri
    Participant

Hi Darcy,

While my experience in not particularly in website design, I did have to learn a good amount of computer use and programming as an accountant. I like that you recognize the skill loss due to the psychiatric abuse. I see that in myself as well. The worst being my confidence level. However, I have 30 yr old and 20 yr old sons that are computer wiz kids. I never really thought about the combination of my motivation and their talent.

Thus, I am so in such gratitude to be able to put into action to my need to scream “Who is really insane in this world?” Oh yes, I also should mention I did attempt to read E. Fuller Torrey’s “Out of the Shadows” and a few other stupid books, after finishing “Mad in America”. I will say this, Torrey inspired me to do what it takes to not fulfill his prophecy that I become a statistic.

Having said all that I am quite confused about something. I thought this website is suppose to be a voice for those abused by psychiatry. The only forums in regards to SZ that I’ve ever been involved with were simply supportive or complain sessions.

So what would be the difference? Say from “Beyond Meds”; “CCHR”; “Insight Center”; “Mind Freedom”; the ToxicPshyciatry” you mentioned; or this site. I mean we have this forum that is for social change, however I see nothing I can get into action doing. To fight the big guns who buy the garbage Torrey presents will take a revolutionary tactic.

I get what Frank is saying about the power behind making it clear what we stand for “Anti-Psychiatry” is better than the “National Association For the Advancement of People Oppressed by Psychiatry”, however I also know attacking the head of the beast usually only helps it to grow 10 heads. The most successful activist I’ve read have said aggression is like adding gasoline to a fire.

So my recommendation is to get input from the younger, “enlightened” generation that are also fed up with the psychiatric abuse. What does anyone know about interactive things like FB, YouTube, or even games? I mean as far as technology and effectiveness. I am part of a site that is used in the states for forming gatherings and activities. It is called “Meetup” and I can certainly use that to rally people into a local gathering.

There must be a way to stir the youth into action. We need their numbers and strength. I just do not see them searching the web for a site like is being suggested without having some “hook” or “viral” exposure.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by CuriousTerri.
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

I see this site as a call to action for anyone interested in ending the damage that psychiatry causes. I would encourage ANY type of action that require 1 or 1000 people. For instance if we had a section with email addresses of senators, governors, etc. than even 1 person could participate in sending them letters to encourage change we would also give snail-mail address and phone numbers. There would be a section with text people could copy and send or even print into flyers and deliver them to businesses, schools, households.
    There would be a section for upcoming events such as protests, seminars, group meetings and any event which would benefit from long term planning.

There will be blogs covering everything from c/s/x people to articles on how set up for any given call to action.

Also very importantly there would be a section reporting on past events/actions we have organized so people could find out quickly what (if any) results their campaign created. It would have news feeds, videos and personal statements from the participants. People need to see the results of there actions ASAP with follow ups if this site/organization is too succeed.

I know I have only covered a very few things here that so far just my opinion, but that’s what this forum is for. Tell me you like or don’t like, a better way of doing things, or just some acknowledgement for things I am on track with.

I would greatly encourage youths to submit their own ideas on what they think would work for their generation, we are all in this together.

As soon as I get the test sites formatted a little better I will post the address(es) since I would need help with layout and design, even colors and typefaces can be changed.

I currently trying Joomla & WordPress for possible formats so you could put out a call of action looking for people who know these, Joomla would be best for a professional site that also has a blog instead of WordPress which basically a blog only.

CuriousTerri I need help in so many areas that anything you think you can do would be bonus. We don’t need programming skills YET, so let me know what you WANT to do, I can than point you in the right direction.

Basically this site would be primarily for calling people to action and giving them the information they require to actually do something effective. The endless debates could be left on MIA.

Hopefully I made some sense here!

Darcy

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Darcy Peal.
    CuriousTerri
    Participant

Yes, Darcy, you made great sense. I see the potential for the evolution from educational & discussion type sites to one that zero’s in on connecting and inspiring the activist. Perhaps to start with I can do beta testing with the test site. Some editing and feedback on layout for example.

One major health issue I still suffer since getting off psychotropic meds is insomnia. Last night I did not sleep much, thus the vulnerability to negative thought patterns arise. That said, I spent time listening to Peter Breggin, Youtube info on anti-psychiatry, and reading the history of the anti-psychiatry movement. It ended with quenching my curiosity of the current “Snowden affect”.

In these last two years I have wished beyond measure that I was “wrong” and simply paranoid. Every step of the way I have not been. Even to the point of reading “Final Exit” to make of final statement of protest as Robin Williams did. While I recognize his protest was not a conscious one, mine would be. I will not go out like that though. Just another psychiatric “depressed person statistic”!

Therefore, I must state I do not see how a public accessed and government monitored website will make a dent where 50 years plus of anti-psychiatry has not been able to.

I plan to look into Secret Circle to investigate an alternative. Darcy and Frank, I would appreciate your research and feedback as well.

t

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Yes, Darcy, you made great sense. I see the potential for the evolution from educational & discussion type sites to one that zero’s in on connecting and inspiring the activist. Perhaps to start with I can do beta testing with the test site. Some editing and feedback on layout for example.

I am not allowed to give third party access to the administration functions on Joomla, one reason why a demo site is not too helpful. I have no articles in place yet, and don’t let the graphic scare you off it is only for test purposes. The Joomla Test Site is at: http://anti-psychiatry.joomla.com/ The WordPress Test Site is at: https://antipsychiartry.wordpress.com/
    NOTE: Remember these are test sites only and in all likelihood will have little bearing on the finished product, except for the layout, menu, and pages.

One major health issue I still suffer since getting off psychotropic meds is insomnia. Last night I did not sleep much, thus the vulnerability to negative thought patterns arise.

I have suffered from insomnia for almost 13 years now so I really understand how you feel.

In these last two years I have wished beyond measure that I was “wrong” and simply paranoid. Every step of the way I have not been. Even to the point of reading “Final Exit” to make of final statement of protest as Robin Williams did. While I recognize his protest was not a conscious one, mine would be. I will not go out like that though. Just another psychiatric “depressed person statistic”!

Every single person alive has great value to society. The loss of even 1 life prematurely has an effect on so many others. It just takes finding the thing you find value in. Perhaps this website can be such a thing.

Therefore, I must state I do not see how a public accessed and government monitored website will make a dent where 50 years plus of anti-psychiatry has not been able to.

Even just making a dent can be the tipping point in a battle such as this. We need action on as many fronts as possible since we are attacking a very formidable foe. Of course many people would monitor a site such as this and since it is a new weapon in the fight against psychiatry I have no way of knowing what their response might be. But I still feel we must at least make the attempt.

I plan to look into Secret Circle to investigate an alternative. Darcy and Frank, I would appreciate your research and feedback as well.

I really have no idea what this statement means, sorry.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Darcy Peal. Reason: addition
    Darcy Peal
    Participant

Curious Terri, I think I can give you access to the site as a manager or administrator or even editor, author or publisher if you want to work on articles.

I have never set up test sites on the web like this before, most of what I created in the past was on my computer or on a live site where I was unrestricted in functionality like these test sites are.

We could select a far better template (design & layout) if had about $100 to start with. Hmmm.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

Yeah, looks like I didn’t tie that “Secret Circle” comment in very well. Actually, it is the “Silent Circle”. It is a encrypting internet software. It was evidently a response to the “Snowden Affect”. Does look like something I will further investigate. Also, the Dark Mail Alliance is a possibility.

Ah if purpose would do it, my friend, I would be the most fulfilled person. At 15 I started a girls track team out of the co-ed one that existed, at 19 I went to the university to go into research for the cure for schizophrenia, at 29 I completed my biblical training as a Christian missionary, at 40 I accepted the mission call to work in the slums of Los Angeles, at 47 I joined the AA 12-step program, and now I’ve taken the Bodhisattva Vow. It is not for lack of higher purpose I lack motivation to move forward.

It is the day to day fight with friends, family, and the community that remind me “perhaps you should go back on meds”. Yes, they saw how miserable I was, however I was more “socially acceptable” Oh yes, I had a “good husband”, hot water, heat, nice house, and even a nice car.

In AA they say “we all have sad stories”. I realize that is true here, too. It’s just I used to be able to pretend better before. I have had insomnia for the past 15 years also. This year is the worst, since the divorce and losing all my supportive friends. It appears other testimonial I read of ones getting of psychotropics are healthier and happier. That is not the case with me. so I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The biggest asset I have now is I have nothing to lose. I will look at the site.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

At first glance the Joomla Test Site is certainly powerful to open to, however the word “kills” is over the top. I know it is quite true, however people will be turned off. Yes, even those being damaged by the psychiatry. so many I talk to are not ready for the whole story yet.

Do you have any ideas of another strong approach? I will think, too. I do like the layout.

The verbiage in the Word Press site is wonderful.

As to the $100, not happening on my end. If that is the only way to do it, I would hold off. I know you feel it would make a dent in change, however I feel it’s doing the same old thing hoping for different results.

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

I don’t understand why you think that this is doing “the same old thing”, I actually have not seen any websites with the format I have described so far. But your words are very discouraging.

Also why the need to shroud the site in secrecy when the very key is to get as many people as possible into action. Again very discouraging.

You tell me to hold off on the site because I suggested $100 would help to make it look much more professional. I did not say we could not proceed without it. Again very discouraging.

It seems as if you are trying to stop me from proceeding.

I am feeling very ill tonight so perhaps I am over reacting, I’m not sure. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

I am feeling very ill tonight so perhaps I am over reacting, I’m not sure. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

Thank you for that. It is why I mentioned the lack of sleep the other day. The spiral into the paranoid, rabbit hole I went into was hard, however necessary.

I don’t understand why you think that this is doing “the same old thing”, I actually have not seen any websites with the format I have described so far. But your words are very discouraging.

Sorry for discouragement. It is a different format, however only ever so slightly. That the term anti-psychiatry was coined by Peter Breggin in 1967 leads me to think we need a stronger, more precise message. We currently have these websites: Mad in America; Citizens Commission on Human Rights; Mind Freedom; Beyond Meds; Insight Center; Peter Breggin’s & Laura Delno’s sites and many interactive mental health sites.

So how can we rethink a change. Due to my spiral down I began to look into something this morning along these lines:

Psychiatry is Ter****sm Often commonly defined as violent acts (or threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for a religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians) The use of similar tactics by criminal organizations for protection rackets or to enforce a code of silence is usually not labeled as such, though these same actions may be labeled this when done by a politically motivated group.

I truly believe the same political motivators that were involved in the Eugenic Society and inspired Hitler are the same ones behind the mass silencing of the “mentally ill”. How better to discredit someone than to say they “have no insight into their own delusion”.

Also why the need to shroud the site in secrecy when the very key is to get as many people as possible into action. Again very discouraging.

So you see now why I feel it must be covert. It is just much too widespread and socially accepted mistreatment than to be simply fueled by a few greedy psychiatrist or even pharmaceutical companies. As I mentioned, kill one head of the beast and 10 more appear. Incarcerated and mistreated mentally ill released from hospitals were put on the streets, however are still feared. I read in one interview a doctor told a woman her daughter had schizophrenia. The mother was grieving so, that the doctor tried to comfort her by saying that the daughter was not terminal with leukemia. The mother respond “I would rather she had leukemia”.

How is it that the public has so much fear of mental illness, especially schizophrenia. Would it be possible the influence of Russia saying the political dissidents had “schizophrenia”? Or perhaps the slave owners convincing the public the runaway slave was “schizophrenic”?

Not one news article that states an ex-psyciatric patient committing a crime was quite a gentle soul before the medications. They all site “Went off Medications….”. My own sister was feared by my family because she “shot the dog 26 times”. None happened to mention that the side affect akathisia, which we knew she had from the Haldol, causes violence. She had been a very quiet, sweet big sister before the medications. (Oh my, I tried to look up side affects for Haldol on the web to see how to spell “akathisia”. It is no longer listed as a side affect!)

You tell me to hold off on the site because I suggested $100 would help to make it look much more professional. I did not say we could not proceed without it. Again very discouraging.
    It seems as if you are trying to stop me from proceeding.

I can be demanding with my advice at times. I apologize for that. You may find the website a motivating inspiration. I will still gladly do all I can to support you in your efforts. I will naturally be very discreet to not draw questionable attention.

I would like to also pursue my theory.

So for encouragement. You are a very intelligent, level headed person. That is so necessary. The erratic response of anger I get caught in does more damage than good. If I remember correctly the Word Press website is free, correct? It may seem overly simple, however often that can be more powerful. MLK, jr’s “I Have a Dream” and Lennon’s “All we are saying, is give love a chance” are memorialized. Focused on a healing of the community. Psychiatry is made up of scared people trying to find a misguided solution. If we can enlightened more like Peter Breggin and expose the ignorance (misguided thinking) of ones like E. Fuller Torrey, the system would collapse on itself.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

You are missing the point of how I discussed what the website would entail and what the other sites you mention entail.

Our site would provide people with advice and actions required to act alone or as groups to engage in their own protests against psychiatry, Big Pharma, etc. No other site tells you HOW to perform any of the much needed actions. Our website would teach people how. The site would be designed to get as many of the general public involved as possible.

Joomla is also free to use and has the much desired ability of combining a website with a blog.

If pulling down someone like Torrey needs to done our site would explain to the public what has to done in order to achieve this goal.

Sure there will be room for informational stories in the Blog but the rest of the site would mainly be instructional. I want as many people as possible to know HOW to stop psychiatry, Big Pharma, NAMI, etc. We need groundswells of regular people not another site that just endlessly debates that things need to change, we would be the instruments of change.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

I got it that time. Sorry so Slow. I can completely concur that my present frustration is right along those lines – the HOW of action.

It would appear that Joomla has the better possibilities. I’m sure “Psychiatry is Terrorism” would be too politically hot, huh? Certainly the “Psychiatry Kills” is powerful. I just am trying to think of a word that encompasses the abusive, control aspect. Also, the political lies being told to the public.

I suppose that will just be part of the HOW to expose the lies. You know I love acronyms. In AA, HOW stands for Honesty Open mindedness, Willingness. My first thought is Hostage Of War (going along with the terrorism theme) Nah, too dramatic….What do you think of Help On the Way. All silly, I suppose, however it does make me feel inspired.

Okay, so I’m on an acronym roll. ACTION (A Call To Invite Our Nation…to evolve with compassion toward the emotionally distraught.) Yes, I know you are Canadian. It’s just me trying to be a bit more open minded and kind hearted toward people that are ignorant. I’ve been so angry this past year.

BTW, I did join Laura Delano’s Meetup group in Boston for anti-psychiatry. I am a co-organizer of a local hiking Meetup. Meetup charges for each group so I’m not ready to start a new one yet, however we use this one to rally community events. I’m sure it would be not problem to add gatherings to the calendar. Part of the reason we set it up is to educate the community on health and nutrition. I just need advice on how to gather people.

As you can see, I tend to blast people with fiery anger. I know there needs to be a toughness, however wisdom dictates a better way. I am reminded of starting the girls track team in HS. It wasn’t until my friend, Bonnie, got involved that the change happened. I suppose I’m like the Malcolm X and Bonnie was like the MLK, jr. My older sister says that both were needed in the 60’s.

So yes, I see this website is exactly what I need. That brings me to the issue of monitoring it. Do you have a guideline for posters statement? It would seem that is important before it is launched. Also, I think you mentioned I would be able to have access to editing the site, correct? The way I’m set up on the Meetup site as co-organizer gives me quite a bit of administrative rights, however not all. Naturally the organizer can override my changes, too, if necessary. Would that be the way you might want to give me access? I would naturally save a draft for your review in the process.

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

I am going to the hospital as soon as I get a few hours sleep. I know I won’t sleep once there.
    Sorry, but I have to go lay down now.

Hopefully others will join you here soon.

Darcy

CuriousTerri
    Participant

You will be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself and please come back soon.

terri

Lametamor
    Participant

Unfortunately, many sites are controlled by supporters of Psychiatry. In particular facebook. Moderators delete “uncomfortable” message. Make inactive links. Impede the free vote.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.