Sunday, May 16, 2021

Anti-psychiatry Website

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Anti-psychiatry Website

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    CuriousTerri
    Participant

[quote=55327]Unfortunately, many sites are controlled by supporters of Psychiatry. In particular facebook. Moderators delete “uncomfortable” message. Make inactive links. Impede the free vote. [/quote]

Hey Lametamor, makes sense. I will keep looking into the best type of site. My son has designed websites and is helping me to understand how to encrypt some of it. For example, a particular message can be sent to the administrator encrypted.

The other thing is, Darcy had a point. We do need to get the message out and connect people. Solidarity seems to be weak in the anti-psychiatry movement.

terri

I am as vehemently anti-psychiatry as any human being who has ever lived on this earth, but I also urge caution about using the term “antipsychiatry.” Why? We need to understand why “antipsychiatry” has failed in the past, and learn from history. Thomas Szasz’ book “Antipsychiatry: Quackery Squared” should be required reading for this group (as well as “Psychiatry: The Science of Lies” and “The Myth of Mental Illness”). I’m all in favor of starting a new website, and I am glad that there are a few brave souls willing to pioneer this effort. But I also agree that serious preparation and reflection should go into the foundation of such a project, because many such efforts have failed in the past. This is not to discourage the creation of the website, only to offer insights that I believe will be helpful to defeating psychiatry in the long run.

I have created a power point presentation that I use to teach people the truth about psychiatry: https://psychiatricsurvivors.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/psychiatry-psychotropic-drugs-and-the-mental-health-industry/

And my blog contains reviews of what I consider to be essential reading in the history of psychiatry and antipsychiatry: https://wordpress.com/stats/psychiatricsurvivors.wordpress.com

In any case, thanks for this. Keep up the good work.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

Hey Slay, Now you really have my attention. Thanks so much. First off, I got as far as the Warning on the first psychiatry survivors link. I could use some direction on what to do since I already did that wrong. I got to a few sites, however all I’ve found is the before, during, and shortly after weaning off. It’s 2 years off now (after 15 on) and the only thing that kept be from being hospitalized (aside from that my ex-husband couldn’t have me involuntary committed) is my obsession with nutrition and hiking.

I went to one family doctor to get help with the B shots I need. He wouldn’t write a script for those (not FDA for mental illness, but okay for the rich who eat crappy diets…but I digress). Next after he admitted me doesn’t know enough about mental illness to adequately treat it (gave referral to “great” shrink friend), he offered a script for Seroquel. I’m like “no thanks doc, but I’ll tell you what if arsenic is FDA approved you can write me a script for that” Ok, so I didn’t really say that out loud….LOL

The second link brought me to a log in spot, however I was not able to set up an account.

Any way, I get the point. Some of my concerns are valid. My son also mentioned that there are still start up costs for a site. Registering the URL & getting a Host. More importantly for me is that I get on this high that I have found something to put my energy into, just to be gravely disappointed. Too worn out to be wasting my energy.

Oh thanks for confirming another suspicion of mine. That is the way some have tried to prove psychiatry is not a true science and that mental illness does not exist since there are not physical tests to verify. It is about as ludicrous as the “flat earth” & “the universe revolves around the earth” people of the past.

I do not care if you say I was traumatized as child and then entrenched into that trauma by the psychiatric professionals or call me SZ-affective. Point being I’m who I am today as an emotional mess and the “help” I get is shut up, sit down, and take your pills like a good little girl. Why don’t they give me LSD so I can at least smile while I’m on this useless, delusional trip. (Oh yeah, they tried that huh? My one experience in college is I was calm for the first time wondering what all the fuss of my friends tripping over the colors at the concert was about. I’m like “that’s what I see every day”…LOL)

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Hi I made it back from the hospital, I feel much better now.

Okay, to begin with this site will not be moderated by “outside forces” like Facebook is, we will moderate the site ourselves.

We will have no general need for secrecy so setting up the site as https should suffice for most needs.

[quote=55340]I am as vehemently anti-psychiatry as any human being who has ever lived on this earth, but I also urge caution about using the term “antipsychiatry.”[/quote]
    I totally agree, the term “antipsychiatry” will not be used in the site name or most other places as I believe the term would automatically place us in the “radical wing nuts” category to the general public which is why we need a name. The term was used on the test sites just for demo purposes it is not the final name.
    Perhaps I should have named this forum topic something else as well but it does get the general point across for “inside” use. What do you all think?

CuriousTerri, I believe I already mentioned we need money for the very things your son told you. Just we because we don’t have those things yet does not mean everything stops. To start with we need people, ideas and format decisions. The format I used for the Joomla site is only one of many which are available free of charge BUT if we do come up with some money there are then paid templates we could consider as well, or if we had enough money we could even get the site custom designed by a Joomla professional, but all of that is still down the road.

I will post again later tonight.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Darcy Peal. Reason: dyslexia
    CuriousTerri
    Participant

Hey Darcy, glad you are back. Do you have an ideas about a name rather than “anti psychiatry”? I like the focus of giving survivors a “how to” in finding their voice to express the truth of what psychiatry is doing.

Guess, it seems a positive message to get survivors united would be good. Psychiatric Survivors Unite in Action.

Any way, do feel to get a trial test run is important. Let me know if you make more changes to what you have and I’ll check it out.

So glad you are feeling better.

Lametamor
    Participant

Psychiatrists introduce in the usage the terms of a morbid perception and behavior. A person is reacting not correct, not right, morbidly emotionally on the being committed against him abominations. And it means, he is dangerous, because he is sick. The disease is the cause of a danger. They recognize the perfectly natural reaction of a human as a disease. It turns out a man himself is a disease. Well, the treatment is the getting rid the man of such disease. I.e. the getting rid the man of himself. In other words, the destruction of the man. But destruction can not be a treatment of him. That`s why coercive psychiatry is always criminal.

Darcy Peal
    Participant

CuriousTerri, no I have had no good thoughts about a name and I am still struggling to relearn Joomla/WordPress. The meds I am on (and have been for so long) seem to have destroyed my thinking abilities, memory, cognition and judgment. I have stopped taking 4 meds so far and am currently tapering on 2 more (Zopiclone & Trazodone). That will still leave me on the 4 toughest ones to stop; Ativan, Cymbalta, Baclofen, and Risperidone.
    I hope something starts to change soon as I am getting discouraged with the damage these drugs have done to me. I won’t stop trying but I may be very slow.

Have a good night all!

CuriousTerri
    Participant

[quote=55404]Psychiatrists introduce in the usage the terms of a morbid perception and behavior. A person is reacting not correct, not right, morbidly emotionally on the being committed against him abominations. And it means, he is dangerous, because he is sick. The disease is the cause of a danger. They recognize the perfectly natural reaction of a human as a disease. It turns out a man himself is a disease. Well, the treatment is the getting rid the man of such disease. I.e. the getting rid the man of himself. In other words, the destruction of the man. But destruction can not be a treatment of him. That`s why coercive psychiatry is always criminal. [/quote]

yes "coercive psychiatric treatment" is criminal. I even call it a form of terrorism

Lametamor, you have inspired me in an odd way. As soon as I want to sit on my laurels, ones like you remind me I can not. Thank you.

Darcy, I appreciate what you said about the medications. I, too, have felt I really need to get more even keeled before helping others is too large of a scale. also, my son said that Joomla and WordPress are some of the hardest web pages to code. I was going to talk to him about the ones he likes better while you were away. He is self taught, and did also say that if you were a web master they are good.

If you like I can find out more. What do you think of starting very, very basic to test the waters? I would like to keep moving forward. It helps me to feel I’m doing a bit to help others like myself.

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Terri, although actual coding is not necessary in Joomla or WordPress they can be pain to work with especially on the free hosting sites where functionality is limited.
    The two “demo” sites I set up are “real” websites they are just the free versions. We can create a fully working website from either one and then transfer it to a paid hosting site at any time, with all the benefits that would entail. Or we could use the free version forever if it starts looking and working good.

But I am always open to any recommendations your son or anyone else has.

CuriousTerri
    Participant

So are you saying we can actually start to use one of those sites now? If so, I say you pick the one you feel comfortable to start with. You will be the one most responsible.

btw, what does the message in yellow above where I write this text mean:

“You can use BBCodes to format your content.” ?

terri

Darcy Peal
    Participant

Terri, we need to start over from the beginning. Before we start using a website we need to decide what is even going to be on it, who is going to write the articles/blogs, what is the name, what are we trying to achieve. For example we will need people who already know how to achieve something like how to plan/start/publicize a protest or rally, or how write a proposal to get a new bill into Parliament, or how to write letters of protest and where to send them, the list is very long.

Creating the website will not really matter if we don’t have things planned in advance. Plus I still have the problem of learning (or re-learning) how to create any of this.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you are getting far too ahead of things.

Here is a link on how to use BBCodes: https://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode

CuriousTerri
    Participant

I see what you mean. Beside being slow to understand new concepts now, my eyesight is frustrating me. I have to read things several times. I suppose if I didn’t remember what it was like to multi-task and quickly catch on to new concepts, I wouldn’t be so frustrated.

Any way, I read you original post in this forum. You did say there are many questions to be answered. You also mentioned that you do not usually post on the forums. With that and the fact that I’m new, perhaps we need to re-address the need for a different site. What if we really see how we feel limited on this site.

For example, I know Laura Delano does protests and is a writer on this site. What has she provided for experience?

If nothing else, it will certainly clarify how we want to do it differently. Some times, when I am not sure what I exactly want to do, I must write out what I do not want.

terri

Laura Delano
    Keymaster

Hi all in this thread, I just want to jump in here to clarify that the Meetup group I started in Boston is not an antipsychiatry group, as Terri said– it’s a group for people who are thinking about/in the process of coming off psychiatric drugs. We welcome all people into the group– including folks who are unfamiliar with the antipsychiatry mission and have no idea about the “survivor” movement and are just wanting to come off their drugs 🙂 Just wanted to make sure that was clarified! For anyone interested, here’s a link to the group: http://www.meetup.com/Coming-off-psych-drugs-mutual-support-group/

LD

CuriousTerri
    Participant

[quote=55526]Hi all in this thread, I just want to jump in here to clarify that the Meetup group I started in Boston is not an antipsychiatry group, as Terri said– it’s a group for people who are thinking about/in the process of coming off psychiatric drugs. We welcome all people into the group– including folks who are unfamiliar with the antipsychiatry mission and have no idea about the “survivor” movement and are just wanting to come off their drugs :) Just wanted to make sure that was clarified! For anyone interested, here’s a link to the group: http://www.meetup.com/Coming-off-psych-drugs-mutual-support-group/

LD
    [/quote]

Thanks for clarifying, Laura. The part being referred to is this portion in an earlier post of mine:

“BTW, I did join Laura Delano’s Meetup group in Boston for anti-psychiatry. I am a co-organizer of a local hiking Meetup. Meetup charges for each group so I’m not ready to start a new one yet, however we use this one to rally community events. I’m sure it would be not problem to add gatherings to the calendar. Part of the reason we set it up is to educate the community on health and nutrition. I just need advice on how to gather people.”

It was suggested in the thread I started after reading Mad in America book that I go to Laura’s site. I did not understand the difference between “anti-psychiatry” and her protest videos. I did not even know there was an official “anti-psychiatry” movement.

Laura’s response does help all of us to understand the potential for confusion should we start a website.

Thus, with this information and the “need to start over from the beginning”, I am backing completely out of this discussion. This whole thread was predicated on the notion of “anti-pshyciatry”. As a friend once said “you do not have to be against that which you are not for” I am not for the abuse the psychiatry machine does, however need to truly understand how men like Gandhi and MLK,jr succeeded. In addition, see what has not changed for the Indians and Blacks.

Laura, should you read this, I would like to thank you for stirring in me the need to see the limitations of “anti-psychiatry” terminology.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by CuriousTerri.
    Laura Delano
    Keymaster

hi terri,
    i wasn’t actually trying to make a point about the limitations of the word “antipsychiatry”, rather to just clarify that our group in boston is not an antipsychiatry group :). IMO, bonnie burstow’s posts on antipsychiatry here are MIA are incredibly elucidating and important about the antipsychiatry cause. if you haven’t read them yet i highly encourage you to check them out!

best,
    laura

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.