Sunday, September 27, 2020

Disability Justice in U.K.: Can We Get Some MIA Support For This??

Home Forums All Things Political Disability Justice in U.K.: Can We Get Some MIA Support For This??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lily.c
    Participant

‘Just The Start’ Say Claimants And Disabled People As Blockade Brings Traffic Chaos To Central London
    https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/just-the-start-say-claimants-and-disabled-people-as-blockade-brings-traffic-chaos-to-central-london/

Over 100 people gathered for the demonstration which began outside City Road Medical Centre, – one of six surgeries in Islington where so-called Work Coaches are due to be based. Iain Duncan Smith himself even made an appearance, dressed as a doctor and handing out work cures such as the prescription above. The protest was good-natured but determined and made a mockery of the health bureacrats who decided the surgery should be closed for the day due to fears over patients safety. In truth the people really concerned with the welfare of Islington’s poorest residents were out in the street defending them from the latest DWP attack on disabled people and those with health conditions.

After about hour the demonstrators moved off the pavement to march down the busy City Road chanting “We’ve gotta get rid of the rich” and “the NHS makes us well, the Tories make us sick”. On arriving at Old Street roundabout, a major central London junction, the growing police presence was out-witted and campaigners managed to block traffic moving in all directions. A banner was unfurled across the road stating that ‘Working isn’t working’ – a reference to the growing insistence from government that low paid insecure jobs are good for our health.

The gov wants to start letting people into fucking surgery units to try to declare people ‘fit to work’ there.
    I like how this is breaking through the ‘work ethic’ bullshit that says there’s some inherent moral or social good in spending your hours toiling at trivial tasks for someone else’s enrichment or to “grow the economy.”

Which is especially crucial, by the way, in light of this: “The British government has just published statistics revealing that thousands of people seeking welfare benefits died within weeks of being found “fit to work” and having their benefits cancelled.”
    http://www.dailydot.com/politics/uk-welfare-benefits-death-statistics/?tu=gav

(Also, a quick google search will reveal, a bunch of disabled Bolivian activists recently **suspended their wheelchairs from a highway overpass** in a similar blockade/protest. It’s going.)

uprising
    Participant

That’s awesome. Very inspiring.

lily.c
    Participant

Okay, this is something interesting:
    Iain Duncan Smith resigns as Work and Pensions Secretary over disability benefit cuts

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-resigns-as-work-and-pensions-secretary-over-disability-benefit-cuts-a6940126.html

In a statement to the media Mr Duncan Smith, known as IDS, said he was … “unable to watch passively whilst certain policies are enacted in order to meet the fiscal self imposed restraints that I believe are…distinctly political rather than in the national economic interest”.

He said, “I am unable to watch passively whilst certain policies are enacted in order to meet the fiscal self imposed restraints that I believe are more and more perceived as distinctly political rather than in the national economic interest. Too often my team and I have been pressured in the immediate run up to a budget or fiscal event to deliver yet more reductions to the working age benefit bill.”

In a blog post, The Spectator editor Fraser Nelson said the resignation was a culmination of several years “biting his tongue” at every budget.

Commentators have speculated that this is a particularly serious sign of the rupture within the Conservative party over Europe that has reached boiling point ahead of the EU referendum in June.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘All Things Political’ is closed to new topics and replies.