Friday, October 30, 2020

Environmental cause of MI

Home Forums All Things Political Environmental cause of MI

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    boans
    Participant

I’m posting this link to an article about how Australias immigration detention centres are seen as a cause of mental illness. It seems to me that the article is a clear admission by a prominent psychiatrist that treating people in this manner results in them developing illness. That just doesn’t fit the biological model. This whole situation seems to be at odds with the narrative being presented about chemical imbalances in the brain etc.

Interesting how the government is trying to ensure that certain data is not collected or released. Im hoping that this debate may wake some of the public up to the issue of environmental factors involved in mental illness. It certainly has the potential to shift community attitides with some honest discussion. That however might be a little too much to hope for.

I’ll come back to this when I have a little more time, and post any other info I can find about this debate.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/05/-sp-australias-detention-regime-sets-out-to-make-asylum-seekers-suffer-says-chief-immigration-psychiatrist?CMP=ema_632

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘All Things Political’ is closed to new topics and replies.