Saturday, November 18, 2017

ESP and Schizophrenia?

Home Forums Rethinking Psychiatry ESP and Schizophrenia?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  kyrani99 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

—-
    Participant

OK so I know quite a few diagnosed schizophrenics who are psychic. Truly, and I have experienced it myself as well. I think it’s because of the over-activity of the front part of the brain which anti-psychotics dim or shut down. Well, it’s just kind of ironic…but there seems to be no way to reason with people who are trapped in delusions. So what is the correlation between knowledge and insanity? It boggles my mind because while people who are crazy make no sense to us, when they’re medicated they are completely rational…what are we missing about the psyche that bridges ESP and Hallucinations? Is there a way to treat schizophrenia that integrates a person with their revelations to reveal what is the true cause of their problems beyond pilling them up? Because ok, when I was in the hospital I had a dream about medications causing white blood cell loss, etc. etc. etc. lots of them type of precognitive dreams and reading people very well. I am a medium, and I am still psychic on medication, but it doesn’t overwhelm me. Maybe being psychic overwhelms anyone who is naturally, or maybe it’s not normal yet, or natural? Some evolutionary glitch or mutation, but we are technically already an evolutionary glitch as humans…so my friend who thinks he is the messiah also is completely psychic. Like he knew where to turn to get places, where my silver wear was when I couldnt find it instantly. Like he is legit psychic but he’s also full of metaphors. I would love to study schizophrenia more, I’d just like to know so much…curiosity is my gift and curse. What about knowledge is causing of madness? Maybe knowledge, like in the Bible, really is a curse as it was said that knowing as God knows was not meant for mankind, at the same time it’s the only way we have evolved to our highest potential. To me, knowledge is a blessing and should be sacred. If we can treat ourselves as sacred then maybe it will be less like a curse. Also, how much of the world is an illusion of what we believe or connected to our unconscious dreams? I have so many questions, I need a Guru lol.

starbody
    Participant

Kalinda,
    I think you ask a very relevant question with “what are we missing about the psyche that bridges ESP and Hallucinations?” This is a question I have not seen addressed all that much in the material I’ve been reading over the past 18 months. There have been a few accounts of people mentioning it briefly and then droping that subject as they focus on other aspects of their stories. I have a sense that it may be something that is not all that uncommon in the community of individuals that have been diagnosed with some kind of “official” mental disorder, especially some form of schizophrenia, BP, or mania of some sort. I’m reading a book now ‘Living With Voices’ 50 stories. Quite a number have mentioned how they remember hearing voices from very early childhood. How many of these situations somehow involve what in certain spiritual perspectives would be considered as possible communication from the astral or spiritual planes [and not just personalized constructs from the subconscious or unconscious]. I understand, appreciate and even agree with the perspective of how voices being heard are often related to early trauma of various kinds, but that also does not negate the possibility that one can be a ‘sensitive’ or ‘psychic’ and also experience trauma that equates to challenges in the mental and emotional integration of life’s experiences. One reason I’m interested in this aspect of the whole ‘acqute psychotic mental illness’ phenomenon is because I’m writing a play dealing with the subject. I would certainly be open to hearing any perspectives on this subject from those who have experience with it.

I had heightened perceptions before I became hallucinatory that I learned to listen to. For instance with no data he wants to hurt you. As far as hallucinations I have a spiritualist friend who was told she was crazy for a long time before she found medium work. She totally knew better than any family member where I was at with my father deceaced who is always with me. The dead do not give up their loving obligations. Yes I think I may have some medium potential as well.

lonewolf
    Participant

Hello, I have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia as the cause of my first episode psychosis (FEP). I can tell you now that when I was younger (about 10 years old) I claimed to my mum that I had seen a silhouette of a man outside my window one night. I had exactly the same kind of ‘delusion’ at least once again at around 13 years of age. When I had my nervous breakdown two and a half years ago I had an extremely strong pulse of pain strike my right occipital region in my brain after walking out of an electronics store (they sold white household appliances, TVs, fridges, computers etc). This was after about 2 hours of hyperventilating at the nearby social welfare ‘outlet’, just outside it and in an adjacent street. In the ‘outlet’ I had visually seen that the camera surveillance playback was showing an image of me wearing different clothes but the same glasses (and slightly shorter hair)-as if it were an archived recording from some time before then. To skip a bit ahead, I also had a trembling and sobbing fit where I felt greatly overpowered by some force which seemed to vicariously possess me. I had said that, ‘I will be made to suffer, because I have seen the evils of our government and our society’. Among other things, I had sweaty and feverish nightmares (mostly of suicidal and violent nature) for approx. two weeks in hospital and then less frequently for the next 18 months. I was rather paranoid about the food, the nurses, the other patients, my family, my girlfriend at the time as well as the government and other ‘secret’ agencies which do indeed exist (also my mobile carrier on several occasions). I had ‘semi-conscious state’ apparitions of deceased people who I believed to have previously stayed at the hospital (it has been around since the 70’s) and witnessed others participating in their respective nightmares frequently waking in yelling and screaming bouts unable to fall back asleep. Among the other physical side effects of antipsychotics I now experience extra-pyramidal symptoms where my finger tips jolt back and forwards, side-to-side in tiny uncontrollable movements. It has been hell, and my life continues to be challenging. I can’t seem to integrate into my university, work place or ethnic club which I have been a part of since I was 6 years old. I have completely alienated my love of 3 years who stuck by me through the ordeal, largely because she felt obliged and uncertain of what she should do, but in the blindness of her infatuation remained strong and loyal. I had many trust, commitment and responsibility bearing issues (still do) and don’t know where my future lies. If anything good comes of this experience, I will need a slap in the face and a bolt of lightning to strike my left pinkie toe to appreciate it. I still hear a faint high pitched tone, like a telecommunications signal which radiates through the open air. I study science and music as well as recently becoming interested in links between existentialism, quantum physics, philosophy, psychology and happiness. Call me crazy, but we live in a world full of powerfully advanced devices, chemicals, technologies and media which seem to all harmonize into one well-oiled machine of human disaster. My suffering is yet to end. Will I ever have closure? Will I ever understand what went on in my brain, what the psychiatrist did to my brain with all those medications and therapies? Who knows, I certainly don’t.

uncertain
    Participant

So what is the correlation between knowledge and insanity? … What about knowledge is causing of madness? Maybe knowledge, like in the Bible, really is a curse as it was said that knowing as God knows was not meant for mankind, at the same time it’s the only way we have evolved to our highest potential. To me, knowledge is a blessing and should be sacred. If we can treat ourselves as sacred then maybe it will be less like a curse…

–> Hi. I’m new. Interesting site. Hope to meet some friendly people here.

Referring to the above quote about the correlation between knowledge and insanity… I enjoy thinking on this particular idea.

So here are some things I’ve wondered about:

Knowledge is tentative, right? Whether it be knowledge housed in a single individual or that of all of humanity: Changes.
    >
    Insanity- or the label ‘insane’- functions as a permanent brand for some momentary characteristics: Unchangeable.
    >
    Intelligence or ‘IQ’ is presumably fixed- implying one’s ability to learn and apply is immutable- : Contrived.
    >
    While mass social or cultural standards & principles fail to change despite gains of god-like knowledge: Contradictory.
    >
    …all the while each individual has essentially the same number of brain cells and nervous system yet not the same basic potential: Huh??

Here’s the questions:

So what if Insanity is just an individual’s internal response to what he has been confined to be by social or cultural predestination? Is Insanity simply conflicts in knowledge due to the deprivation of it?

I see the correlation as this: if the human body gathers information non-stop throughout an individual’s life (constant sensory or awareness development) but the individual’s knowledge base stays relatively the same- due to social, cultural, and economic constraints- we’re all denied enormous amounts of information and opportunity to discover who we are as humans and have our physiology set at odds with our mentality from the very start. And the resulting internal conflict- a.k.a Insanity – should come as no surprise. Shoot, I’ve yet to meet a SANE person. Most at best are just functionally insane, passing each day by being blessed with certainty in thought and action… truly blessed.

SnowyRhodes
    Participant

Psychic Phemonena: whether Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Precognition, or Psychokinesis are all present in the writings of Modern day World religions. If we negate the possibilities of the mystics of which found our major world religions, we must negate the existence of a higher being(s) and powers. This I refuse to do. Based on my observations, science has not caught up to the point it can acknowledge the true powers of the mind. Especially the mind-link to the very real spiritual realm of which we are all a part of. I wonder how many so called people suffering from a “Schitzo disorder of some type”, are actually people misdiagnosed after the presentation of diagnostic criteria was misrepresented and disagreed by the Clinicians opposing people claiming to have spiritual basis for their situation and affect; in this researchers opinion, any person demonstrating a spiritual aspect to their non-violent behaviour should be taken seriously and not labeled at all. All of us in the APA community need to recognize the ethical and cultural side of the science of the mind. Even though we may be “split down the middle” as Atheists, we can’t be so critical of other peoples beliefs and subsequently true paths towards recovery. What I mean to say is, why not label someone a ‘Mystic’ rather than a ‘Schizophrenic’… my intuition about this is the person not being labeled, will recover faster and get back to work.

~Snowy

Craig2
    Participant

This is a fascinating topic because all of my psychotic breaks involved believing that I had psychic powers. I thought that I had special knowledge about the ultimate nature of reality. The key to my recovery was that I had to stop believing in the possibility of any supernatural thing. I was on Haldol and symptom free for 12 years after my last episode. I have been symptom free and drug free for at least 18 more years. At times when I have considered the possibility that I might want to believe in some supernatural thing, I could tell that the pre-psychotic thoughts were starting to form. It was like standing on the edge of a cliff and looking over. I’m not trying to convert everyone to atheism. It doesn’t bother me to have friends who are believers or psychics. And and I no longer advocate that everyone should get off their meds ASAP. However, I know for myself I have no choice.

SnowyRhodes
    Participant

Craig2:

Yes Religion can be very powerful and religion isn’t without psychic phenomina as I stated. If at anytime anyone feels uncomfortable at a Church, they should leave. Many religions, especially what I know of as the Anglican faith of Christianity employ aspects of Mind Control by playing music at the same heart rate long enough to subjugate people to first stage hypnosis. After that, independent thinking become more tough and finally after all the rituals, enters the Sermon. The Sermon with the high and low frequency and rate of pitch and speed, is meant to bring about spiritual experience. People predisposed for psychosis should be weary. The thought stopping techniques and imbedded thought imprinting is very real, also based on my observations and research.

It is entirely possible you had psychic powers and a fundamental understanding of the nature of the universe, but is that what you really want? I know I don’t. I myself have been trapped in the spiritual realm, where “extraneous” information could not be filtered out by my mind, and stimuli seemed to effect my brain like a scarring sword. I’d only wish my experience on my worst enemies.

Congratulations on your remission and being clean! Why is it that MI goes hand in hand with addiction? Is it because we unconsciously self medicate to shut down the outerworld in to something more tangible and comprehensible?

And I agree on your stance about Medication. The meds help… perhaps as much as a strong support group, however it takes both to recover.

As far as the ESP thing… it IS real. I know in every fiber of my soul the spiritual realm is real … but like you, .. I’m scared to experience it again, for fear of relapse.

I am a practicing open-minded Christian, I memorize Psalms and passages to regain my acuity. I study the Bible with my Girlfriend. My Girlfriend has been instrumental in my recovery. Every now and again I will experience ‘glimpses’ back in to the spiritual realm… but it’s something I can handle.

Best of luck to you…

*Peace*

~Snowy

SnowyRhodes
    Participant

“Parapsychological studies have demonstrated strong evidence for the existence of several forms of psi and should play a unique role in the transition from a modern to a postmodern worldview. If one respects the methodology of science, parapsycholological findings force one to broaden one’s intellectual horizons to a view of mind as something capable of transcending the current limits (Scotton et al.).”

footnote… this researcher had a waking dream, just now, of walking through the foodcourt of the longwood medical center in Boston, to get soup for someone in need while typing this… although I am not physically there.. I can sense there is someone who needs help and support.. please do what you can do to help if you’re the one receiving this message and remember any time you can make someone laugh: it is part of the process of overall healing.

~Snowy

mjk

this researcher had a waking dream, just now, of walking through the foodcourt of the longwood medical center in Boston, to get soup for someone in need while typing this… although I am not physically there.. I can sense there is someone who needs help and support.. please do what you can do to help if you’re the one receiving this message and remember any time you can make someone laugh: it is part of the process of overall healing.

Remote viewing?

I wish more people would be courageous enough to come forward with their experiences, ESPECIALLY LIVE (when it’s currently happening). And I wish there was a dedicated place for people to connect to, to make their reports. That’s what I do: I report, I inform, I tell. It’s just that there’s never a receptacle, a receiver – to “record” the information.

SnowyRhodes
    Participant

mjk:

At the risk of sounding insane, I firmly believe there is always someone who receives a message (or prayer) whether it is a sentient being or beings and/or God. I do not think God works on a conscious level we as Humans can comprehend, however, I firmly believe during extreme states (not that I would recommend them) we are closest to how God operates. With that said, I do not think we need to be in extreme states to pray or understand God because writings from established religions and that of transpersonal psychiatry and psychology provides us with the tools to be able to understand the spiritual realm. It is up to us as calm, cool, and collected people to disseminate the information for ourselves in order to explore and understand the universe as freedom allows.

Might I suggest we move this conversation to a new topic and forum thread of “Science, Spirituality, and Psychotherapy”?

Best Regards to all,

~Snowy

Xen
    Participant

I see the correlation as this: if the human body gathers information non-stop throughout an individual’s life (constant sensory or awareness development) but the individual’s knowledge base stays relatively the same- due to social, cultural, and economic constraints- we’re all denied enormous amounts of information and opportunity to discover who we are as humans and have our physiology set at odds with our mentality from the very start. And the resulting internal conflict- a.k.a Insanity – should come as no surprise. Shoot, I’ve yet to meet a SANE person. Most at best are just functionally insane, passing each day by being blessed with certainty in thought and action… truly blessed.

I am of the same vision. I believe people are susceptible to hallucinatory experiences of a psychotic kind because the wiring is inherently there. That is to say, it is natural, and because it is natural, it is part of our genetic memory. As such it is easy for us to believe these experience when they happen to us, whether they are real at that moment or not.

But I’m not sure whether insanity is the natural response to suppressed abilities. It seems quite logical – something repressed will seek a way out.

But some voices have been cured simply when a natural feeling was acknowledged and accepted. I have seen a youtube report by some psychologist who had an experience with a patient who wanted to kill her mother. When the psychologist had met the mother and experienced her himself, he confided to the patient “you know, I felt like I wanted to strangle that woman”. The patient replied “by god, that is how I feel as well!” The voices – telling her to kill her mother – then gradually faded away.

This is merely another form of repression, of course. Very interesting topic!

SnowyRhodes
    Participant

I prayed for Nelson Mandela last night: Psalm 30 and Obama made a quote from it today “Thou hast turned for me my mourning in to dancing”… coincidence I know, not grandiose thinking … but what if God has all on the same page.. if not for brief minutes in time ???

skybluesight
    Participant

I’m currently reading Daniel B. Smith – “Muses , Madmen and Prophets.”

Give it a try – available at Canadian libraries.

skybluesight
    Participant

I often forget to click the follow up button.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.