Wednesday, November 20, 2019

FIGHTING MURPHY — ON TO THE SENATE!

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change FIGHTING MURPHY — ON TO THE SENATE!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    oldhead
    Participant

HERE’S WHAT THEY’RE PLANNING —

According to a main supporter of Murphy here’s the general scenario from our opponents’ perspective (thanks to Justin Brown for this):

“Once the full Senate votes on the Mental Health Reform Act of 2016, then Senator McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) must quickly appoint Senate and House Conferees who will reconcile the differences between the two bills. Only after the Conferees have met and agreed, and both the full Senate and full House have voted to accept the conferees’ report can the final bill be sent to the president for signature.

Tall order after September 6? Not at all, if the process can be kept on track and conducted in a timely manner.

I strongly encourage that you also reach out to Senators McConnell and Reid, and that you underline to them the practical importance of this legislation for the field, including their home states. All that will be required of you is a short telephone call or a short e-mail to their offices.

Please take action today. We need very well organized advocacy just before they return to Washington on September 6”

That’s what they think they have to do.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO —

a. We must first of all try to derail the Senate vote on its own bill (SB 2680), which is a long shot, but remember, every even slight delay will work against them rushing Murphy through, which is THEIR strategy as you can see from the above.

b. We must try to flood Senator McConnell and speaker Ryan with anti-Murphy communications, especially from people with a right-wing, “conservative” or libertarian perspective. Remember both of these guys are under heavy pressure from Trump/Tea Party types not to kowtow to liberals in any way, so get out your anti-liberal clothes and emphasize that this bill, especially the Senate version, is basically the position of Hillary Clinton.

c. If the bill nonetheless makes it as far as the two committees, we must do all we can to expose the many contradictions not only within each of the House and Senate bills themselves, but between the two. The goal is gridlock, and prevention of a consolidated House/Senate bill going before the full Congress for a vote.

d. If the bill despite our sincere efforts goes to a full vote and Congress disregards the clearly expressed positions of survivors and our allies, support will likely grow for escalating our tactics to demonstrations and civil disobedience, and we should be thinking about this. However, if we don’t clearly publicize our positions ahead of time there would be less public support for such tactics. So our current focus should remain on point a.

That’s my top-of-the-head take on this.

Here’s the link to the initial press release put out by the Senate “Murphy,” i.e. Chris. The bill has about 15 co-sponsors, including Al Franken (fucking clown)… https://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cassidy-murphy-introduce-comprehensive-overhaul-of-mental-health-system

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by oldhead.
    oldhead
    Participant

The Cassidy-Murphy Mental Health Reform Act will do the following:

Integrate Physical and Mental Health

•Encourages states to break down walls between physical and mental health care systems by requiring states to identify barriers to integration. States would be eligible for grants of up to $2 million for five years, prioritizing those states that have already taken action. States taking part are eligible with additional federal funds to treat low-income individuals who have chronic conditions or serious and persistent mental illness.

Designate an Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use
    •Elevates the issue of mental health by establishing an Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services who will be responsible for overseeing grants and promoting best practices in early diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation. The Assistant Secretary will work with other federal agencies and key stakeholders to coordinate mental health services across the federal system and help them to identify and implement effective and promising models of care.

Establish New Grant Programs for Early Intervention

•Establishes a grant program focused on intensive early intervention for children as young as 3 years of age who demonstrate significant risk factors recognized as related to mental illness in adolescence and adulthood. A second grant program supports pediatrician consultation with mental health teams, which has seen great success in states like Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Establish Interagency Serious Mental Illness Coordinating Committee

•Establishes a Serious Mental Illness (SMI) Coordination Committee under the Assistant Secretary to ensure documentation and promotion of research and treatment related to SMI and evaluate efficiency of government programs for individuals.

Establish New National Mental Health Policy Laboratory

•New entity will fund innovation grants that identify new and effective models of care and demonstration grants to bring effective models to scale for adults and children.

Reauthorize Successful Research & Grant Programs

•Reauthorizes key programs like the Community Mental Health Block Grants and state-based data collection. The bill also increases funding for critical biomedical research on mental health.

Strengthen Transparency and Enforcement of Mental Health Parity

•Requires the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the U.S. Department of the Treasury to conduct audits on Mental Health Parity implementation and issue guidance on how determinations are made regarding comparability mental health services and physical health services.

Improve Mental Health Services within Medicare/Medicaid

•Makes critical reforms to allow for patients to use mental health services and primary care services at the same location, on the same day. Repeals the current Medicaid exclusion on inpatient care for individuals between the ages of 22 and 64 if the CMS actuary certifies that it would not lead to a net increase of federal spending.

–From the Cassidy-Murphy press release, August 4, 2015

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by oldhead.
    oldhead
    Participant

HOW TO TRACK THE PROGRESS OF THE SENATE BILL:

To follow the progress of the “Senate Murphy Bill” go here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2680/all-info

For some bills they give a probability of passage; with Murphy they aren’t predicting right now. They seem to be processing. This report changes from day to day during active legislative periods.

Those on Facebook should be following what Jaffee et al. are saying and predicting, as they seem to get information ahead of time. But it looks like they’re trying to get people to besiege their congresspeople starting Tuesday and we should be prepared to do the same. Simply tell them they need a wider debate representing a wider spectrum of opinion. Hopefully we’ll come up with something a little more in depth asap.

AA
    Participant

HOW TO TRACK THE PROGRESS OF THE SENATE BILL:

To follow the progress of the “Senate Murphy Bill” go here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2680/all-info

For some bills they give a probability of passage; with Murphy they aren’t predicting right now. They seem to be processing. This report changes from day to day during active legislative periods.

Those on Facebook should be following what Jaffee et al. are saying and predicting, as they seem to get information ahead of time. But it looks like they’re trying to get people to besiege their congresspeople starting Tuesday and we should be prepared to do the same. Simply tell them they need a wider debate representing a wider spectrum of opinion. Hopefully we’ll come up with something a little more in depth asap.

From a Jaffe facebook group regarding calling Senators:

Pass S 2680, The Mental Health Reform Act of 2016, with amendments.
    Amend S 2680 to fund Assisted Outpatient Treatment and hospital beds, the two programs needed by the seriously mentally ill. Ask him/her to force SAMHSA to focus on seriously mentally ill
    Keep gun-control separate, but do include the non-gun provisions of S2002, The Mental Health and Safe Communities Act in the bill.

Thanks Oldhead.

My read of this is that first Murphy Bill (2646) is more likely to get passed by the GOP/ types than 2680. Not to say that the anti-liberal rhetoric won’t be effective, but my sense is that that angle is especially important for the Senate Bill.

I posted this on another thread too, but I was thinking maybe a way to tackle some of the early intervention provisions in 2680 is to talk about the mass drugging that goes on in the foster care system. There is data that most of these kids don’t even have diagnoses (not valid to us, but shouldn’t this point out how questionable this practice is for those who believe in diagnoses). Concern has been expressed by even the government on this issue- http://www.gao.gov/assets/590/586570.pdf. If we highlight these kinds of cases, maybe it will get some to pause about drugging kids.

Maybe I’m just dreaming, but this may be worth a shot and could help with the liberals who have a pro-child stance. Also, the arguments are different, but wouldn’t the libertarians not want the government to interfere with raising their kids?

oldhead
    Participant

S&T (& EVERYONE!!!) —

IMPORTANT BREAKING NEWS HERE IS THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO AMEND THE SENATE BILL TO INCLUDE AOT!!!

This is an URGENT ACTION situation — We need to besiege the Senate NOT TO ACCEPT the amendments. Spread the news around on MIA and wherever else
    you operate. The talking points have just become very simple: tell McConnell and Ryan not to accept the amendments!

I’ll be back to work on this evening, then not till Tuesday night. Hope people will keep putting references to this on the MIA home page comments, find an excuse.

Shit! Where did you find out about this

oldhead
    Participant

In AA’s post. (Fine print.) Thanks AA.

AA
    Participant

In AA’s post. (Fine print.) Thanks AA.

You’re welcome. I will keep watching for any updates.

oldhead
    Participant

Gee, radio silence for most of the week. Still hoping to get this into the Initiatives section, but it would be better if someone else could be the interface between us & the MIA staff.

Sort of frustrating knowing that the TAC/NAMI people are calling their reps as we speak. I think I’m going to try our arguments on one of my senators tomorrow & will report back on the reception I receive.

I’d like to work on a few extra points for the Senate if anyone’s game for collaborating; also it might be good to have a consensus about what to recommend that people request their reps do voting-wise, other than always opposing TAC.

And AA, some of that TAC Facebook stuff you posted is nasty! Do you have any updates?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by oldhead.
    AA
    Participant

Gee, radio silence for most of the week. Still hoping to get this into the Initiatives section, but it would be better if someone else could be the interface between us & the MIA staff.

Sort of frustrating knowing that the TAC/NAMI people are calling their reps as we speak. I think I’m going to try our arguments on one of my senators tomorrow & will report back on the reception I receive.

I’d like to work on a few extra points for the Senate if anyone’s game for collaborating; also it might be good to have a consensus about what to recommend that people request their reps do voting-wise, other than always opposing TAC.

And AA, some of that TAC Facebook stuff you posted is nasty! Do you have any updates?

No updates. Continue to watch for them.

oldhead
    Participant

AA, I’m now learning that there are people who consider themselves on “our side” who support the Senate bill — do you believe it!!?? I hope people are reading along here even if not commenting. What should we do about this craziness?

FeelinDiscouraged
    Participant

I feel hopeless and helpless. I wrote to my congressman and it did no good at all. He tried to contact me after I told him I would never vote for him again. And I won’t; I blocked the skunk’s email!

I suppose we will all have to go into hiding?

oldhead
    Participant

Not sure why you blocked his email — it looks like you got a rise out of him and he tried to “dialogue,” which is positive because it means he noticed you. NAMI etc. want them to think we don’t exist, so congratulations on your effort for sure.

Just to be clear, you should not “feel discouraged” or not based on any politicians’ votes. As I see it this is a tactic we’re using, not a naïve attempt to create massive legislative support overnight. But there are enough contradictions in these bills to keep politicians fighting and delaying for some time, at least long enough to buy us some time and get a little unity going around this.

Speaking of which, there are people supposedly “on our side” who are SUPPORTING the Senate version, presumably as the lesser of two evils. I hope people will show up to discuss this, as I think such a tactic is suicidal.

I think this coming week should be our target week for calling Senators. (BTW did you write to your congressperson or senator? — because now that’s it’s a Senate issue that’s who we need to call or write. Just make sure they get the message — No SB 2680 and especially no A.O.T.

I’ll be trying to put together some tentative talking points for SB 2680 and how to tell them to vote, but they would be much better and the process much stronger if I had some collaborators — anyone out there?

uprising
    Participant

I hope people are reading along here even if not commenting.

I am. Thank you all for working on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.