Friday, January 21, 2022

Getting across a message of human rights?

Home Forums Rethinking Psychiatry Getting across a message of human rights?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Copy_cat
    Participant

I think  Youtube can get the message of human rights out People need to see the abuse on youtube.

Covert High Definition Keychain Video Camera You Can Take Anywhere
    This tiny keychain captures high-definition video, audio, and impressive 4032 x 3024 photos.

Adjustable Video Resolution
    Completely Covert
    Records Audio, Video, and Takes Photos

The Rosenhan Experiment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment. of 2012  ??

Copy_cat
    Participant

If I had a “keychain” camera like this I would be the owner of the hospital that abused me when the jury came back.

Laura Delano
    Keymaster

@Emily,

I very much agree that psychiatry is spreading like wildfire, and I am holding onto faith that this horrendous curse might end up actually being our movement’s biggest blessing.  Now, let me explain…

Let me first say that I do not believe in that any person’s humanity, free will, agency, sense of connection to life around him/her, and physical health is worth sacrificing— so I am by no means saying that it is a “blessing” for people to be diagnosed, drugged, and stripped of faith in Self.

However, given that this is a massive reality in our society, one that as you said doesn’t seem to be slowing down but rather continues to speed up, it is my hope that it will reach a tipping point.  That one day, our society will wake up and realize that we are drugging millions upon millions of people in the name of “normality” and that there will be a tremendous upheaval of this status quo.  I think ‘Anatomy’ will go viral (I correct that— I KNOW it will go viral), and I think once this happens, people will be unable to continue denying that we are systematically drugging our children and our adults on a doctor’s whim and for reasons that have nothing to do with medical science.

The fact that 1 in 6 Americans are on psychiatric drugs might then switch from being the beast that we are up against to our greatest ally— because of its utter absurdity.  When ‘Anatomy’ goes viral and the mainstream comes to understand the ways in which the mental health system is literally and symbolically decimating our society, we may stand a shot at being heard.  This is why we need to work hard— speaking for myself, this is my life’s calling— to create ways for people to get out of the system.  Because once the reality hits society at large that the “treatment” is what’s making us sick, not anything innate to us as people, there need to be supports in place for people to leave their relationship to the drugs and to the “mentally ill” labels behind.

We need to keep spinning these utterly insane statistics in our favor— how, on earth, is it possible that nearly 20% of the American population is somehow now “mentally ill”?  How is it that in the age of “modern medicine”, people need MORE drugs at HIGHER dosages instead of the opposite?  Etc., Etc.

I respect you for your desire to forgive those who have harmed you and move on with your life.  I am really lucky that I have come to peace with my past, too, and am no longer paralyzed by resentment and rage [of course, I’m still very angry— I’m just not channeling it in a positive way, is all].  Although you say you don’t see yourself as an activist, I can definitely say that your participation here at MiA has been really inspiring for me, and a source of energy and motivation for me to keep doing what I’m doing, so that I can connect with all the others out there like you who share such scarily similar stories.  I do hope that you continue to contribute here, even if you decide that it’s the only space you fight to dismantle the system in!  It makes a huge difference J.

And finally, thank you for the inspiring reminder about my thyroid situation.  You aren’t the first person I’ve met who’s successfully come off the synthetic thyroid and had it be OK.  I can’t tell you how strange it feels for me to “take meds every day” when it comes to my Synthroid…  I mean, I barely take OTC drugs these days, even, as I have such tremendous faith in my body’s capacity to heal itself!  It’s a very humbling experience that I feel quite conflicted about.  Nonetheless, here I am, on the Synthroid.  I must say that there is a history of hypothyroidism in my family, mostly striking people in their late twenties or early thirties, so the reason why I’ve stayed on it so far is because I figured it was bound to happen anyways (just not in two months, like it did in my earlier twenties from the lithium!!)  I have definitely been looking into homeopathic alternatives to synthetic thyroid hormone, but am very much afraid of having things get thrown off whack (I simply don’t have the time with everything I want to do in this movement to get bedridden by the lethargy, the lack of concentration, the feelings of sadness and apathy, and the weight gain that can come with Hashimoto’s Disease…)  I confess this is all fear I’m riddled with here, and that maybe I should walk through it and give it a shot… But right now, I still feel held back.  If I change my mind, I will surely let you know :).

Onwards,

Laura
    PS- The NARPA conference was a profound experience.  I have a lot of new stuff circulating in my head that I’m working on fleshing out re: dismantling psychiatry…   😉

Faith Rhyne
    Participant

“…it is my hope that it will reach a tipping point.”

“The fact that 1 in 6 Americans are on psychiatric drugs might then switch from being the beast that we are up against to our greatest ally— because of its utter absurdity.  When ‘Anatomy’ goes viral and the mainstream comes to understand the ways in which the mental health system is literally and symbolically decimating our society, we may stand a shot at being heard.  This is why we need to work hard— speaking for myself, this is my life’s calling— to create ways for people to get out of the system.  Because once the reality hits society at large that the “treatment” is what’s making us sick, not anything innate to us as people, there need to be supports in place for people to leave their relationship to the drugs and to the “mentally ill” labels behind.”

Absolutely. I was just writing these words:

…that sort of thinking is an important component in facilitating boardroom discussions about conflict between one’s role and one’s values, the costs and benefits. This is an element in weakening the chokehold of the medical model (and other corporate atrocities) – by eroding investments (both in belief and in funding and inparticipation on behalf of those working within those dysfunctionalsystems)…and then, with increasing pressure from a strangled and bledeconomy, leading to fragmented grinding halting transformation, the systems will change or they will collapse.  Either that or state-funded systems will be privatized by the pharmaceutical industry. That would be a nightmare.

I am not convinced that anything will happen, I just like to think about how things might happen…in a world that made any sense at all.

This amped up psychiatry of late (Child Mind Institute) seems like classic backlash.  “Oh, the ideas upon which our industry is built upon are being effectively challenged by the work of journalists and professionals and people who care? We’d better heap them on a little stronger, and change the prescriptions so that people might care just a little less.” The thing is that it won’t work. It might work for a while, but it won’t work. Too many people have been affected. Look at how many people have come forth with their stories. More and more. There are recovery events all the country this month. Where actual people in actual recovery may speak. Will Hall (!!!) is speaking at the Alternatives conference.

In all sorts of communities everywhere, people are fed up with mental health (and education) systems. I tend to be incredibly (even obnoxiously) optimistic, but I really don’t think that a major dismantling (at the least a reconfiguring) of psychiatry and the mental health system is so far off. It sort of seems inevitable. Yeah, it will be a mess, and I appreciated your acknowledgement that we need alternatives to meet the needs of people getting out of the system, as they likely will be in droves…at least here, because of a funding snafu, a lot of agencies cut big cuts -> fewer “services.” Which means a major disruption and a lot of unmet needs. We just had the first of many to come of a great Icarus-inspired community mutual group here tonight. There are some amazing people involved in the little hometown gathering.  There are lots of approaches to building a culture of mutual aid, but funding of formal alternatives (respite, holistics) is important. I wish we could figure out how to get our local funding management agency to contract out a pilot of respite houses based off  the WRAP ethos, with integrated opportunities for empowerment and healing? That’d be great.

Although it does no good to “daydream” about such things, it also doesn’t seem to hurt anything. Besides, mental health systems have been bellyaching about, “There’s no other way.” for so long. Give me a break. There are other ways…and denying that is going to jus become more and more difficult.

I think Anatomy has already gone viral in some circles, and it likely will in others. However, as far as the broad population is concerned…most people will probably pick up on the truth in some little snippet of other media or some story that they hear…or when they realize that the pills that they can’t afford anyway really don’t make them feel any better, and  – in fact – their hair is falling out, they’ve gained 30 pounds, they are impotent and for some reason they don’t care.  Of course, most people think that these side effects of medical model treatment are part of the “disease,” but when given the choice most people are thrilled to explore the idea that perhaps they might not be so tragically fucked up as they have been led to believe.

Oh, as an aside, I was about to apologize for this being long, but then I remembered that I had just written these words, too.

“Oh, you know what just bugged me a little…see, this issue of being verbose. Well, yeah, verbal was my primary intelligence for years. It got sort of messed up over the past five years or so, largely because of severe trauma in response to efforts to communicate, pharmaceutical trauma, and the social/psychiatric pressure to just shut the fuck up.  I think it is intolerant when people criticise someone’s verbosity, if that is the way that a person’s brain works and verbosity is in genuine communicative effort or engaged in for transparent/acknowledged delight in taking things apart and putting them back together. I never learned mechanics, so I tore up branches and shredded ideas instead.”

irony

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Human Rights”

I spoke to someone today.  Actually, I asked them a question.  I had to assert that I am worthy and deserving of an Honest answer.

Is it my right to NOT share, give, provide, explain, tell, inform?  If somebody asks me a vital question, is it my right to deny them?

Is it the right of psychiatry, or any agency of government, to withhold (or make unintelligible) vital information?

If I have the answer(s), is it my right to withhold, keep it to myself, take it to my grave and never give a person “the time of day”?

Is this a question of mentality, a question of behavior or a is it a question of Rights?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, I also meant to mention that psychiatry is *not a school*.

Ted Chabasinski, JD
    Participant

Hey Laura, I love that phrase “dismantling psychiatry.”  I am trying to write a blog post titled  “Our Task Is to Take Away the Power of Psychiatry,” which  I hope to finish and get circulated well before the SAMHSA conference in Portland.  Maybe it will have an influence.

SAMHSA’s theme for the Portland conference, as you know, is “Honoring Our Past and Building Our Future”  I already know what they will say about our past, that our movement before the federal mental “health” system took it over was completely weak and ineffectual.  I know they will say that because the same people said that a few years ago.  Hopefully, my article will make that lie a little harder for them to tell, but they will tell it anyway, I’m sure, since that is what they are being paid to do.  But hopefully Will Hall with have something more truthful and helpful to say when he talks about our future.

I hope you write something about your experience at NARPA.  I heard it was relatively small, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. My dream is to organize a conference mainly for survivors that would be focused on strategy, and would be an alternative to “Alternatives,” sort of like the Highlander conference. Like Highlander, it would be small and by invitation, which would both keep the discussion focused and also be more doable.

Would love to get feedback on this from people.

Emily,

Re: “Psychiatry is dead.”

This is an expression I like to use – to disempower psychiatrists.  It’s my way of saying that a growing number of us read right through it all.. from the fraudulent research, to the illegitimate use of force.

I have worked hard for the past six years to do my part.  I’ve worked with my friend, and fellow Texan John Breeding, Ph.D. to stop the assault on foster kids and Medicaid kids in Texas, by providing testimony at our state legislature with John.  I have written more letters, sent more emails, and made more phone calls than I can count this past six years- to Governor’s, state legislaors, and keyn political folks, depending on the issue, the state.  In fact, I sent one out again today.

A couple of years ago, I put together a vision, to put an end to the use of force in psychiatry; a vsion to transform the mental health system.  I sent this vision to as many people and organizations as I could think of…

It has been posted on Safe Harbor, ISEPP, MindFreedom International and MIA…unfortunately, there has been little response.

We need to get a federal law passed and signed into law –

http://discoverandrecover.wordpress.com/mental-health-freedom-and-recovery-act/

After six years of almost non-stop work (including an email just today), I think I’ve earned the right to say, “Psychiatry is dead.” if it bring me a little peace and some others some ope.

Maybe you could help by doing your part?

Just a thought.

Duane

My apologies for the typos.

Emily, my words were meant to challenge you to do something.

Not sure where to start?

Do a Google search – John Hunt –  Cork, Ireland

Write some letters to the key folks there, asking that John be freed from his psychiatric confinement (after years).

It’s what I did today.

And if I can do it, you can do it.

Duane

Duane

Re:  John Hunt
    Carraig Mor Centre
    Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit and Assertive Care Service
    Shanakiel
    Lee Road
    CORK
    IRELAND

After viewing the video of Pat Bracken, M.D., Ph.D. on MIA, I sent Dr. Bracken (of Cork Ireland) an email yesterday,  asking if there might be something he could do to help with the release of John –

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/123844238/Dr-Pat-Bracken

There are things we can each do to help.  IMO, we need to do them, because our freedom depends on it.

Duane

Faith Rhyne
    Participant

We need to get a federal law passed and signed into law –

http://discoverandrecover.wordpress.com/mental-health-freedom-and-recovery-act/

This is great, possibly the most inspiring thing I’ve seen today. Having only recently survived (meaning that, before, I was somewhat busy with surviving) it is a pleasure to get to learn about all the amazing work that has been done. I am definitely going to check this out and share it.

We should see if someone could say something about this in relation to the Oct 06 event in NYC.

Thanks, Faith.

In solidarity,

Duane

Emily
    Participant

Hey Duane,

I’m really moved by such a direct, bold plea to me, a relative newcomer on MiA.  I appreciate your explanation for your very unique phrase, “Psychiatry is dead.”  And how can I not respect your commitment to the cause of exposing psychiatry’s lies and in particular, your voice on behalf of children on neuroleptics?  Having experienced it myself, I now know that putting anyone on neuroleptics is truly cruel, inhumane, and beyond belief.

Yet, I have to say that I don’t feel politically inclined on these issues as for now.  I do feel an obligation to myself to figure out what the heck happened to me all those drugged years of my twenties.  I definitely want to work on my writing skills to craft a painfully honest account of my experience with psychiatry to help others know they are 1. not  crazy and 2. don’t have to remain enslaved to pills.  I want others to know that I don’t see myself as a victim, but to adequately do that I need to make a success story of my life!  I have a lot of living to catch up on.  I am supporting some friends to encourage them to make their own breaks from psychiatry.  I am asking undiagnosed friends and family to read ‘Anatomy’ as a personal favor to me to understand what I went through.  I am spending time on this site to help me be a more informed, educated speaker on the subject of not drugging people in the name of mental health.  I’m mostly happy with where I am right now in my life.  I’m getting to know myself without the omnipresent cocktail of drugs I lived under my entire adult life as a “bipolar” patient.

I’m very grateful to this site and to you for your participation here.

Keep up the fight!,

Emily

Emily,

Welcome to our community.

I apologize for coming on so strongly.

We’re all equals here.

We each have our gifts, our ways we can touch other lives.

I’m sure you’ll do your part in your own way.

Again, please accept my apologies, Emily.

Duane

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Rethinking Psychiatry’ is closed to new topics and replies.