Wednesday, October 21, 2020

NAMI supports smoking bans inpatient that cause violence

Home Forums Rethinking Psychiatry NAMI supports smoking bans inpatient that cause violence

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Copy_cat
    Participant

Smoking Ban – Putting the Boot into Mental Health Patients

The obvious question is, will it help patients? A third of mental health sufferers and two thirds of schizophrenics smoke but under the government plan, they have to quit or abstain while they are being treated. Is it really a good idea to put this extra unnecessary stress on people already confronting intense personal issues? Although nicotine is physically addictive, it also has a huge psychological dependancy that can make it extremely stressful to quit.

As a smoker I know about the compulsory need to reach for a cigarette regardless of the harms. Kicking nicotine addiction is simply not possible for many including myself especially during a time of stress. I don’t care how many anti-smoking groups or loud vocal nay-sayers harp on, I find it virtually impossible to quit. The idea of quitting whilst dealing with a major issue in my life is even more distant and I am sure this is the same for most long term smokers. And what bigger issue could one have to deal with than going to a psychiatric centre for a mental health problem? I could only imagine one worse scenario than having to deal with a mental health issue at a psychiatric hospital … the torture of having to quit smoking as well.

That’s not how NAMI sees it,

“Creating strong coalitions by partnering with individuals and community agencies will facilitate more rapid systems change by making tobacco use in mental health systems less desirable, less acceptable and less accessible. The same strategies that have been effective in targeting tobacco in our communities need to be applied to our mental health system. ”

From the NAMI website.

It means more profit cause patients are more angry and “agitated”.

I HATE “NAMI” damb phony “advocates” now making the psychiatric nightmare even worse pushing smoking bans.

National Alliance on Mental Illness is run by pharma, see: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/National_Alliance_on_Mental_Illness

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Copy_cat.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Copy_cat.
    Copy_cat
    Participant

Grassroots patient advocates…

WHAT A JokE !

NAMI smoking ban

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Copy_cat.
    Copy_cat
    Participant

I have alot of friends in recovery and sometimes they have trouble/relapse.

I am calling NAMI and asking what I should tell a suicidal person who does not want to goto the hospital because of the smoking bans inpatient.

This attempt they asked for my phone number but I declined and will call back.

The question I am asking “since NAMI supports inpatient smoking bans what do I tell the suicidal / strung out drug and alcohol abusing person who is adamantly refusing help/ the hospital due to these smoking bans inpatient ?

I am also asking if they ever saw a person inpatient suffering anxiety panic attacks made worse by smoking withdrawal begging pleading for a cigarette and have they ever seen a violent “takedown” of a distressed person flipping out over the smoking ban ?

NAMI supports these bans so I expect they will give me a good logical answer that makes sense.

Anyone can call with this question 800 950-NAMI (6264)

I will be posting the answers I get from NAMI online here too.

Copy_cat
    Participant

I am on the phone now, the rep is pulling up some “detailed information” in response to “what do I tell the suicidal / strung out drug and alcohol abusing person who is adamantly refusing help/ the hospital due to these smoking bans inpatient ?

They told me to go here and tell the suicidal distressed person “smoking is bad” nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Hearts_and_Minds/Smoking_Cessation/Smoking_Cessation_and_Substance_Abuse.htm

I got no answers from NAMI the pharma front. I explained the distress the smoking bans cause people and they did not care.

(800) 950-6264 ended the phone call at 9:41 AM.

uprising
    Participant

In my experience, psych drugs make nicotine cravings much stronger as well. So they (psychiatry/hospitals/NAMI) are throwing distressed people into a further tailspin by forcing them to abruptly withdraw from one drug, while giving them different drugs that will make that withdrawal even more traumatic.

Any five year old can see that this is a recipe for disaster, IF the goal is to ease a person’s distress.

But that is not the goal. The goal is creating lifelong customers for the Psychiatry-Pharma Industrial Complex, for which NAMI is a shameless front organization.

Copy_cat
    Participant

In my experience, psych drugs make nicotine cravings much stronger as well. So they (psychiatry/hospitals/NAMI) are throwing distressed people into a further tailspin by forcing them to abruptly withdraw from one drug, while giving them different drugs that will make that withdrawal even more traumatic.

Any five year old can see that this is a recipe for disaster, IF the goal is to ease a person’s distress.

But that is not the goal. The goal is creating lifelong customers for the Psychiatry-Pharma Industrial Complex, for which NAMI is a shameless front organization.

That explains it.

I posted this topic on psych forums too http://www.psychforums.com/living-with-mental-illness/topic145932.html here is some paste from it,

sixprime wrote:You should record and upload the audio. Nothing like some good old YouTube justice.

Ya , a recording would have been a beautiful example of how much NAMI does not care about patient rights and is anything but “the voice of the mentally ill”.

One of my questions was do you think if we went and asked people inpatient if they wanted a smoking ban anywhere near a majority would vote yes ?

How do you think the added stress of smoking withdrawal for people experiencing a mental heath crisis is going to help ?

I asked the person on the phone if they have ever witnessed a person in the throws of a mental health crisis begging for a cigarette inpatient get “taken down” basically assaulted and restrained for ‘acting out’ because of the added stress of having to go without a cigarette during that crisis.

They claimed to have observed what goes on inpatient but would not acknowledge the smoking ban they support as the culprit.

NAMI is not the “voice of the mentally ill” they have no idea what it feels like to be stressed and duressed or neurotic and psychotic to the point of going for inpatient psychiatry.

They are arrogant patronizing phony academic types who maybe read ‘Web Md’ a few times doing the dirty-work of their pharmaceutical company sponsors , basically they are the pharma industries marketing dept.

Look at this Q2 2014 Grants and Contributions $1,005,000.00 http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Major_Foundation_and_Corporate_Support&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=169636

That does not include what pharma gave to state NAMI chapters Q2 2014.

Pharma and the hospital industry pays for everything NAMI does, the NAMI websites, the phone bills, office supplies, water, electric bill, heat-ac, building rents… and obviously their paymasters call the shots and run the NAMI show too. NAMI the “voice of the mentally ill” what a bad joke.

Youtube justice, I do like that idea.

uprising
    Participant

“YouTube justice” – that made me laugh. Check the legality of it first, because it varies by state:
    http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

NAMI is not the “voice of the mentally ill”

You’re right. They’re definitely not.

I’ve been diagnosed as having “severe mental illness” and NAMI does not speak for me.

BetterLife
    Participant

I just started reading these boards today. I knew about nami but now I want to have them all arrested.
    These people are sick.

To me, this sentence shows it. It’s doublespeak:

“The same strategies that have been effective in targeting tobacco in our communities need to be applied to our mental health system. ”

1. Say what you mean. Strategies do not have “needs.”

Do you mean
    Nami needs (the stratgies)?
    Nami wants

Well, who cares?

How about the patients?
    What do they need, and want?

2. Further proof of mental illness, “The same strategies that have been effective in targeting tobacco in our communities…”

a) nothing is effective. Anyone who can quit does so. The rest cannot. No one needs a village to nag or remind them that smoking has downsides

b) Why would would strategies that work outside of mental hospitals for regular people with jobs, lovers, freedom and beer work on those incarcerated in mental hospitals?

Nicotine is one of the few pleasant psychactive drugs available to people diagnosed with schizophrenia

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BetterLife.
    BetterLife
    Participant

“Creating strong coalitions by partnering with individuals and community agencies will facilitate more rapid systems change”

People who write like this have no ability to think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Rethinking Psychiatry’ is closed to new topics and replies.