Sunday, July 5, 2020

Sick; a documentary

Home Forums Community Sick; a documentary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    boans
    Participant

Just watched this documentary about mental health institutionalisation of youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjMBCN3abE

It’s low budget but was certainly worth watching to me.

Starts with a good description of Erving Goffmans ‘total institution’ and how it is designed to annihilate the self. Then moves on to 5 case studies of kids who were locked up and released after short periods. A number of questions asked and the answers are one’s I see here at MiA regularly. Nothing new but …. “was the hospital any help?” No, no, no, no and no.

Anyway, if you have an hour to spare, worth a look. If you have 20 minutes only watch the first part. If you have no time, what are you doing reading this?

A quote from Nelly Bly (Ten days in a Mad House)

The insane asylum on Blackwell’s Island is a human rat trap. It’s easy to get in, but once there impossible to get out.

RISN
    Participant

Thanks,boans! My son asked me to watch this too. I think that one thing we need more of is to have students who have survived the psychiatric system and those who are just entering adulthood write an Advanced Directive. Colleges and universities are often entry points for the psychiatric system. And once a student turns 18, they can be cut off from their families for support. An advanced directive would inform the family and college of the preferred course of action in the event of an alleged breakdown (Do NOT want medications! D Not want ECT! Do NOT want to go to hospital or ER!). The state university where I work allows other students to report altered states (much like the young woman who was committed by her school). This is an open door for abuse!

It would be interesting to gather a group of senior citizens and hear their stories of entry into the psychiatric system. Everyone probably needs to write an Advanced Directive.

boans
    Participant

It sure is an open door for abuse RISN.

I think what the documentary shows is that Mental Health laws are being enacted in a way that requires nothing more than a phone call or a finger point and the mechanism goes into action.

Once this occurs peoples civil and human rights are violated for reasons of ‘helping’ them. What each of the young people in the video show is that it does precisely the opposite when their is nothing wrong with them. I think the young man Ben demonstrates it most, but it’s there with the others.

Now if it does this kind of psychological damage to people who have nothing wrong with them, what on earth does it do to a person who may truly be in need of help? I understand the principle that sometimes it is necessary to do harm to do good. A heart surgeon sometimes needs to open the chest to access the heart to repair it. But the damage done by Mental Health Services in most cases does damage that can never be repaired. Thus they drug people and cross their fingers in the hope they survive.

This is not unknown by those in the system, though I think they minimise it in their minds.

Personally I believe that if a persons civil and human rights are to be violated then you had better have a good reason for doing so, because the trauma causes significant damage. Our government feels otherwise and has provided an environment where a finger point is enough. It’s a bad state of affairs where a telephone call can literally dismantle a persons life, and they have no means to defend themselves through due process.

I have considered an Advanced Directive though I wonder whether like other protections under the law, they simply are ineffective given that those in this system are never held accountable for any misconduct.

I liked it best when I lived with the delusion that i was protected by the law. What a reality check mental health services were.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Community’ is closed to new topics and replies.