Friday, January 21, 2022

suggestions for secure internet interactions

Home Forums All Things Political suggestions for secure internet interactions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    humanbeing
    Participant

I have always wondered at the number of people using social media such as facebook and twitter; and while I don’t know of an alternative to them at this time, I do want to pass on a couple of things I use that make me feel a bit better about my online activity;

For search engine I use DuckDuckGo…they claim not to track you…

For an email address I use riseup.net…I used to have a lavabit.com account, but the folks who put that together disbanded it after Edward Snowden disclosed all those government secrets-he had a lavabit account.

It does baffle me that people are so willing to give up their right to privacy. And while I may be fooling myself-I’m resisting as best I can.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by humanbeing.
    uprising
    Participant

Great topic!

I’ve been using Ixquick which is another search engine that claims not to record user information. It also has a built in Proxy feature, which means that you can look at most webpages in the search results without them knowing your IP address. And you can configure the settings you want to use in your searches and save them by either accepting a cookie from Ixquick or by saving the configured page as a home page. Unfortunately, as with DuckDuckGo, you have do trust that Ixquick is doing what it says it is doing.

Riseup.net has a good section about Communications Security that includes some of the easier steps people can take for better web browsing.

A good resource for people with surveillance concerns is Electronic Frontier Foundation’s Surveillance Self Defense website.

[quote=47717]
    It does baffle me that people are so willing to give up their right to privacy. And while I may be fooling myself-I’m resisting as best I can.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I don’t think for a second that anything I do on the internet is private, but why make it easier for everyone who wants to spy on me? I guess to me it’s about harm reduction.

boans
    Participant

The Onion Router

https://www.torproject.org/

Believe it’s the best available. Don’t know that any system is totally secure though. Just a matter of how desperate they want to get into it. Worth having a look at this documentary. Not necessarily full of information, but the format is just great. I’d love to be able to put something like it together.

http://netwars-project.com/

Like it was said in the hitchikers guide to the galaxy: Don’t Panic.

uprising
    Participant

I’m basically an internet newb, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the main vulnerability of TOR is that whoever controls the exit nodes can read everything that goes through them unless it is encrypted? So you’d want to use encryption with it, including HTTPS Everywhere.

[quote=47724]
    Don’t know that any system is totally secure though. Just a matter of how desperate they want to get into it.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by uprising.
    Copy_cat
    Participant

Don’t want to give them your real e-mail ? use temp e-mail http://www.sharklasers.com

Please sign up for spam and login to comment… think not !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘All Things Political’ is closed to new topics and replies.