Sunday, May 9, 2021

What is psychiatry. Victim narrate.

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change What is psychiatry. Victim narrate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Lametamor
    Participant

Pete Dance I am not kidding, I started out in life as a performer, actor, then musician, before becoming dragged down by the folly that is ‘mental illness’ in 1992….the experience scared the living shit out of me suffice to say that I did not ‘perform’ ever again, until 2004/5, when it was a pale shadow of what I have done before…..I have always loved the attention and power of performing but something tells me it is all over….eg….I went along to a ‘mental health’ music group live performance at my local library this afternoon and as good as it was, my idea of performance is or can be jumping off a stage and grabbing someone out the audience and humiliating them gently for the purposes of audience participation and laughs, or delivering one liners to clubs full of scowling miners until they crack up laughing as per my requirements…..then playing and singing keyboards and dancing around like John Cleese on acid……now recently I have grown back some of the ‘confidence’ needed to do this again, as a solo artist, and have agreed to perform at an outdoor family fun day at a local park next month. I have my own material, both songs and jokes and monologues, and although daunted, now aged 51, I am trying to see it as an opportunity to be grasped and cherished………now, here’s the dilemma….at this ‘concert’ this afternoon I met one or two ‘service users’ and one member of ‘staff’ who invited me to perform impromptu, but I declined except for their singalong bits….when I sang, I felt all their eyes fall upon me, but in that environment I am mainly known as another ‘service user’, and every single attempt at making light of my status thus to date, has resulted in either suspicion, mild amusement, ridicule, or sometimes physical threats and violence…!!! My ‘confidence’ has suffered as a result, not knowing especially in mental health groups, whether to make that ‘observation’ or not….as a result, my humour is tentative and half hearted and I feel I come over as a nothing either way…..However, if I behave ‘confidently’, I feel they consider me to be ‘psychotic’…..if anything, for me, performing is very much like being psychotic, as many see it….so what do I do?? I wanted to ask some of the performers in the group today if they wanted me to record them in my home studio, but when I chatted to them to introduce myself properly, they actually just walked off mid-sentence….ffs….not filling me with confidence, but feeling like a leper..!!!….I want to make a one man show with a message about mental illness that everyone can understand and benefit from,,,,but right now I feel inclined to curl back up and carry on taking medication so that I can ‘fit in’ with the ‘incrowd’….in-or- out??? Which am I? and can I be both..????

Lametamor
    Participant

Rosaria Marinaro My first selfie . D self portrait… l plan to did do a series using a real camera ..& tripod.. need to save $$$…I learned phootography. AS a j hobby….. o in various workshops & teachers.

What I see in my photograph is pain and the traumatization from my tortuous treatment at the hands of the mental death system.

I see an amazing Zuni Warrior charmrd w
    I lost so much from my incarcerations . I am regrouping.photographs taken in NYC. Im. My housing program
    When I feel and see myself in the photographs..I revealed my inner pain and traumatization…from my treatment AT the hands of the tortuous shrinks.

I also feel an integrated inner life thatW is calming and soothing to self and others. I see an amazing Zuni

Lametamor
    Participant

You can hear Aine Nibhern from Sligo here! Aine has been active in every way she can to speak her truth since she had her own encounter with psychiatry some years ago. She is a true survivor of psychiatry and wants the public to know a truer picture of what is really happening to those labeled by psychiatry. Trauma is part of life and living and to live is to experience it. Psychiatry as we know it only increases and suppresses our fearful responses and causes brain damage. Psychiatry as we know it is bio psychiatry which thinks it needs to oppress its victims to receive its brain damaging, medical ‘treatments’ which in the long term turn out as torture for many. http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/35513/1/one_womans_account_of_experiencing_psychosis

Lametamor
    Participant

Marc-Antoine Bourget I have Bornholm Disease. So I live in extreme pain all the time. If I sit for too long I walk like if I was 100 years old. at the age of 12 my family doctor put me on the caveman diet and I had no more inflammation and I had a great teenage years. A neighbour was suicidal and I wanted to help her and she asked me to meet her physician but he was a psychiatrist. He decide it was me that was suicidal and gave me a insulin shock. When the shift was over the new psychiatrist read my file and determined that the reasons the doctor gave were not sufficient and gave me a soft drink and a mars bar. It was enough to wake me up for a little while. She sent me to the asylum where they determined I was sound of mind and let me go right away. Although they released me after only one day, the insulin shock was enough to ruin my life. I still cant get to follow the diet any more as it hurts physically to be in acidosis. My ATP just doesn’t function well And I never have enough energy. Great life this doctor gave me.

The_cat
    Participant

[quote=67637] Neurontin [/quote]

Lesson From Pfizer: Don’t Describe Your Product as “Snake Oil” in Internal Email

Neurontin

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lesson-from-pfizer-dont-describe-your-product-as-snake-oil-in-internal-email/

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

I guess the moral of this story is that honesty will turn around and bite you.

Lametamor
    Participant

Ilsa Hummingbird Just wanted to share my experience of forced psychiatry. How can you diagnoze someone as psychotic when they are experiencing no hallucinations/ disassociation from reality/ not hearing voices and are just scared for their life e.g ‘ paranoid’. And how can someone be hospitalized & treated against their will when they are not a danger to themselves or others. This happened to me on several occasions ( once it had happened once, it started happening to me based on my previous record) & it was a gross injustice. And placing me on anti-psychotic drugs has been devastating morally, physically & psychologically for me. I live like an emotionless zombie. I still remember reading my medical report & seeing, feeling how they twisted every single one of my words & actions in the hospital against me. ‘ This is not a hospital’ & ‘ The Staff are all actors’, my attempt at sarcasm & criticism of the incompetency of my surroundings & the staff were twisted into disassociation from reality. My anger at being detained like a prisoner behind locked doors, not allowed even to go on walks & treated for a disease I did not feel I had & despite me showing no signs of mental distress, anger which expressed itself at me trying to defend myself physically whenever they forced medication upon me was treated as ‘violence’ & ‘ lability of mood’, taken in contrast to the times when, like any normal human being for a moment I wasn’t angry & able to distract myself somehow from the tragedy of my situation. My ( reasonable) fear for my life, based on my cultural background, an actual threat said to me back home &, I thought, in response to my priveleged background, was dismissed as paranoia and delusions of grandeur. They even tried to say I thought I was someone else when I said ‘ I’m Iggy Pop’ once because he’d been sectioned as well in his life & because I identified now with his life. I’ve been labelled as ‘incurable’ & ‘ paranoid schizophrenic’ even though the fear for my life has been gone now for over a year & they think I can’t do without drugs, even though 1 1/2 years I spent in & out of hospitals on drugs & it did nothing for my fears. The only thing which made me stop being afraid for my life was the greater fear of being put on a Community Treatment Order if I didn’t take medication & stop going on about being afraid. They coerced & bullied me into saying I’m ill, taking medication etc but I will not give in. I want to get a second opinion. A third and fourth if a second won’t do. And if that doesn’t work, I intend to go to the press with my story. I urge everyone who has ever been hospitalized against their will on here to do the same. We need to speak out in the press about our experiences if this torture & cruel treatment of us is ever going to change. It violates the UN code of human rights, right to liberty & right to freedom from torture & right to a private life. Don’t be silent.

Lametamor
    Participant

07 Ani Nemo Please help I’m applying for a new school and it requires me records of my two last school,but the first one has a direct connection to psychiatry which I was forced since I was just 6 and without my conscience into it for some sort of ‘special education’ which,in my mind,a total mistake and all traumatic experiences I had in there still effect me today.

while the record will not have any of that kind of information(the school serves as a normal school too but I didn’t get that kind of treatment) but somehow I fear they will be able to connect that information to my psychiatric past and I ‘feel’ that I’m not going to be safe from it.

Also I reject the labels that were given to me,but because of the events in both school and hospital that were really happened I can’t justify my believe that I’m really normal anymore.

I really don’t want to put that records for the school,at the same time it could be my only mean to escape. I really don’t know what to do now.

(this group was also a support group before,hope it’s not ruining atmosphere here)

Lametamor
    Participant

Genine Zizzo-deceased I account to Thom Jensen of ABC News10, what happened to my Mother at Roseville Point Health and Wellness Center. My Mother was forcibly injected with Haldol, against her Will and against MY Orders as her Durable and Medical Durable Power of Attorney. She died 12 days later in an irreversible vegetative state. I will NOT rest until those involved are held criminally accountable for what was in my opinion, an egregious medical assault by an unscrupulous Nurse that contributed to and hastened my Mother’s death….

http://www.news10.net/story/news/investigations/2015/06/17/45-area-nursing-homes-rate-below-average-for-the-use-of-antipsychotic-drugs/71258022/

Lametamor
    Participant

In this document, I have attempted to summarize all of the sections of this bill by their most important points so that they can be easily understood and referenced. If someone is interested only in grants, for example, that individual can easily access information about the section of the bill that deals with grants. At the same time, this is more than an informational document. I am not a professional policy wonk and the renderings of policy are not intended to be perfect. They are intended to be comprehensible. Similarly, the commentary I add at the end of each section is mine alone. Many will agree or disagree, or some combination thereof. This summary is written from my perspective, as a former clinician and service user and present survivor of psychiatric atrocities. It is written for my community of people who feel similarly about the atrocities, abuses and social controls of psychiatry. I can say that, if I held same positions as this bill’s author, I would be very proud to have written H.R. 2646. Each section supports and reiterates other sections in a cohesive manner. Given that I do not hold their positions, I can say it is a very dangerous document, whether or not it passes, because it indicates the directions of force, coercion and dehumanization that my community currently faces. Particularly, this bill targets not only those persons labeled with a psychiatric diagnosis, but also those who are doubly disenfranchised by being young, old, poor, differently abled cognitively or part of a minority community.
    This bill has nine sections that are outlined below, with a…
    http://mildlydysthymicinamerica.tumblr.com/post/123744891734/hr-2646-murphy-bill-what-does-it-mean-a Akron, OH, United States

Lametamor
    Participant

Craig Leonard Batley
    Claiming that she has wanted to die ever since childhood, a 24-year-old Belgian woman thinks that suicide is the only answer. This summer, she is getting help from her psychiatrist. The suicidal Belgian woman is about to receive, in her mind, the ultimate treatment for her psychological condition.

No, the psychiatrist isn’t going to help the woman cope with the voices in her head and the traumatic experiences she may be dealing with.

No, the psychiatrist isn’t going to help

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/050342_euthanasia_depression_Western_doctors.html#ixzz3hmGdOBhf

Lametamor
    Participant

Treatment in a mental health facility is meant to alleviate or to prevent a worsening of the patient’s condition or it’s symptoms. Our daughter is actually deteriorating again because of your company’s insistence on prolonging an unjustified detention.
    Do you understand this? Can you see that your company is actually making our daughter’s condition worse?
    After the latest revision of the Mental Health Act the idea of ‘appropriate treatment’ became diluted. Instead of specific and actual tangible ongoing treatment for mental illness, at tribunals and in reports, psychiatrists are now able to rely on the often quoted ‘therapeutic milieu’ of the ward as enough treatment to justify detention.
    It’s generally accepted that detention cannot be challenged because of a lack of appropriate treatment because of this: the nursing and the climate of the ward is assumed adequate enough to ‘treat’ the patient.
    I just spoke to my daughter tonight…

Lametamor
    Participant

Ilsa Hummingbird Yep, so I’ve now been banned from the Poetry&[email protected] commmunity on here simply because I disagree with their pro psychiatry & pro-medication views & voiced them & politely argued my points with the Founder, who was basically trying to silence me & called me ‘ combative’ etc and ignored that even the community’s pro psychiatry/meds ‘ethos’ should not mean that members that disagree with it should be silenced/banned. It’s primarily a forum for creative writing & unifying those labelled as mentally ill, surely & should be accepting of different views on psych/meds. Anyone want to show some solidarity & join the group & tell the ( blissfully ignorant of this) community that this happened? I was banned in private via Private Message when I wouldn’t agree with them instead of in public. I can’t be the only one on there that disagrees with psychiatry/ meds there & I’m concerned their views could be disrespected/oppressed in the same fashion…

Lametamor
    Participant

Dear Dr. D., It is important for my healing that I express a number of things to you. My life has been significantly and irreversibly altered by tapering the Lexapro and the gabapentin. In March 2013 when I began the Lexapro taper you stated that “I might have more symptoms” indicating that I could have more psychiatric symptoms without the medication. You provided me with no other information of what the risks are of tapering and this omission is a failure to provide informed consent to treatment. It is negligence to ignore the alarms that have been sounded for many years about psychotropic medications and their reduction process. My rights have been violated because I was not able to exercise choice about my medical decisions without the necessary information. You took my choice away from me. The initial Lexapro taper was wildly too fast and may have substantially contributed …
    http://wp.rxisk.org/doctors-and-withdrawal-from-antidepressants/

Lametamor
    Participant

Jane Rice Hello fellow survivors 🙂 I’m doing a series of posts on the the various ways electroshock damages lives. I’m starting out with a loss of autonomy and subsequent predisposition for abuse due to shock induced brain damage. I’ve been abused and so have countless others. Many of us live in fear of homelessness and further abuse by psychiatry. We are often trapped in abusive entanglements because we have no other choice- disability payments aren’t enough to live on and social services to assist with the basic activities we can’t do anymore (like money management and transportation) are damn near useless- in part because brain damage from shock isn’t acknowledged.

If you’ve been abused post ECT and want your experience included in this important but scarcely addressed issue (anonymously is an option) email me at [email protected]

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Lametamor.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 179 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.