Sunday, May 9, 2021

What is psychiatry. Victim narrate.

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change What is psychiatry. Victim narrate.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Lametamor
    Participant

George Ebert It was Bastille Day on Monday (July 13) at the New York State Office of Mental Health in Albany, but nobody was waving a French flag. Instead, members of the Mental Patients Liberation Alliance were holding signs saying “Forced Treatment is Torture” and other slogans of protest against the psychiatric community and its forcible use of psycho-pharmaceuticals and electroshock therapies on people with psychiatric labels. The Bastille Day title and mid-July date is to “symbolize the release of inmates from prison,” while the annual Albany demonstration is held “to celebrate the human spirit and to break the silence about psychiatric oppression,” said a member who was manning an information table.
    The Mental Patients Liberation Alliance formed in Syracuse in 1972; this was their 35th year of demonstrating in front of the OMH building. The communally organized rights group is a self-help, peer-support organization that seeks to end forced treatment of any kind. It also calls for access to holistic alternatives to the “medical model monopoly of mental-health services,” and asks for community supports and accountability from the psychiatric system.
    On Saturday and Sunday, the Alliance held a teach-in while camping out on the West lawn of the Capitol. The protest’s 72-hour duration “represents the hold time for involuntary commitment during which one is held against one’s will” for “evaluation,” said member Ed Peters in an e-mail.
    In addition to advocating for self-determination, the group seeks to
    http://metroland.net/2015/07/16/mental-liberation-movement/

Lametamor
    Participant

Jeffrey Andrew Winters As I’ve said earlier I’m not trying to offend anyone, but keep in mind, that this Blog is by a Friend of Mine with Mental illness who Passionately supports the Right To Die, Legal Doctor Assisted Suicide for the Countless People with Mental illness who will always want to die, No matter how much Treatment they Receive, My Mother had Bipolar Disorder before her death in 2014, she was 63, 63 was the age that Robin Williams was when He Killed Himself , There are countless People suffering in Silence, they want to die, but are Unable to, they are Afraid to ask for help in dying, because they will be labeled a “Danger to themselves” the Unspeakable Horror, and they will be Involuntarily Locked Up,
    What about the RIGHT TO DIE for People with Mental illness who want their Living Hell Nightmare Lives to End, We need to Legalize and Regulate Doctor Assisted Suicide in all 50 States of the U.S. and in Every Single Nation of the World, No one should be Forced to Live Against their Will, that is Morally Wrong and Torture, The Right to Die is for any and all Suffering People who want to die,
    Read this Blog http://euthanasiaformentallyill.blogspot.com
    My Mother said before her death that Psychiatrists are the Biggest Heartless Scumbags on the Face of the Earth, and that if they had the slightest Shred of Human Compassion and Empathy within them, they would work to Legalize Doctor Assisted Suicide for the Mentally ill …
    The Key Word is Voluntary, only people who Request to Die would be Given a Legal Death with Dignity, We cannot speak of
    “Rights of the Mentally ill” Unless we address the RIGHT TO DIE issue,
    Over 90 percent of People who die by Suicide each year have a Mental illness, thus showing the Right to Die is also for the Mentally ill , and Remember the Right To Die Blog Below is by a Friend of Mine with Mental illness who Argues for the Right to Die for the Mentally ill,
    http://euthanasiaformentallyill.blogspot.co.il/

Lametamor
    Participant

Zelda Ombrero visit to relative in secure hospital : was told I could give them laptop, however when arrived they came into room took it off him, saying ‘it is contraband’. someone came in the room and said he’d hit a member of staff. Well only thing I achieved was not to have a row with them, saying that it is the system that is wrong I do not blame individuals. Very very distressing incident, shouting, taken off to a room I do not know what happened this is my last relative so now I’m just left to die alone, not one person who’s going to give a **** my things will be just bunged in the rubbish by social worker no doubt. Only advantage, is death will probably take both of us soon. Relative looks dreadful, how the hell has lived this long cannot fathom. even if he ever gets out of this place which at the moment is looking very unlikely, the chances of a 40-year-old who can’t even use the Internet or a smartphone, afraid of own shadow, do not look too good. And this costs the taxpayer, hundreds of thousands of pounds that could be beMy story is long, but I’ll make it as brief as I can. Father sadistic and sexually abusive (permanent damage; dying at 61. Mother emotionally abusive and neglectful.

Lametamor
    Participant

Sue Helen Oakley I had O.C.D., self-harm, very severe depression; anorexia, bulimia; many phobias; 4 suicide attempts. I also had a baby. First suicide attempt when she was 15 months.

Docs then became ‘aware’, & prescribed Diazepam. As it causes depression, it was contraindicated. That was 1977.

In 1980, I was forcibly withdrawn from it. Torture and then some. I said I had withdrawal symptoms. They said it wasn’t addictive, & prescribed a host of anti-psychotics, including Nardil, though my records say I’ve never been psychotic.

Back on Diazepam throughout my second pregnancy. Daughter’s heart stopped at birth. She had numerous behacioural problems, after a very quiet, limp babyhood.

I was again thrown into a withdrawal hell.

In 1995, I was on 4 mg daily, & ready to finish coming off slowly. I was then given an antibiotic called Doxycycline. It threw me into cold-turkey withdrawal, & 3 years of hell followed. In the end I told my doc I’d had enough. Back onto 20 mg daily.

Spontaneous (no cause) withdrawal 2001. 40 mg. Again 2006. 60 mg.

That’s about it, except to say I’d have been better off on illegal drugs.
    tter spent elsewhere.

Lametamor
    Participant

Rose Elizabeth Marshall Arbuthnott I believe that I am a fearless writer.
    I share my personal experiences, thoughts and beliefs. I’ve not been afraid to express my emotions. Self-expression is fundamental to writing. I am a man of my words
    Recently, I became concerned that my blogs about depression and mental health might shape my reader’s opinions of me in a negative way. The more I thought about it, I realized that I had internalized the stigma that surrounds mental health.
    Stigma is defined as “a mark of disgrace or infamy.” The word bears a negative connotation and it devalues the person to whom the stigma is applied. While the conversation about mental health is receiving a larger forum, damaging misconceptions are widespread.
    According to surveys, there are between 42.5 to 46 million adults in the U.S. that have some type of mental illness. Statistics show that one in four adults experience mental illness in a given year. These numbers of individuals are all impacted in some manner by the stigma that still surrounds mental health. Some the harmful effects, as reported by the Mayo Clinic can be:
    >>> Bullying, physical violence or harassment
    >>> Reluctance to seek help or treatment for mental illness conditions
    >>> Lack of understanding by family, friends, co-workers or others you know
    >>> Health insurance that doesn’t adequately cover your mental health illness treatment
    >>> The belief that you’ll never be able to succeed at certain challenges or that you can’t improve your situation
    >>> Fewer opportunities for work, school, or social activities or trouble finding housing
    The stigma exists because of a lack of understanding, knowledge and education about mental illness. The stereotypes are further reinforced by the images and representations we see in the media. We think of electroshock therapy, padded cells, lobotomies, straight jackets and leather restraints. Movie villains are always portrayed as crazy, sadistic, psycho killers, and that further shapes the public’s perception of violent behavior and mental illness.
    There is an overwhelming impression that people diagnosed as bipolar or schizophrenic have violent tendencies. While some of these individuals could be predisposed to erratic behavior, most people with mental health conditions are far more dangerous to themselves.
    Patients with mental illness are perceived as weak, feeble-minded or lacking strength of character. Some of the words used to describe people with mental health conditions are: “insane,” “crazy,” “lunatic,” “psycho.” All these derogatory terms are wrong and help promote the stigma. Like most diseases, mental illnesses are no one’s fault.
    The conversation needs to change, and we all need to be aware that mental health conditions are just as common as any other health issue. It is no different than someone having cancer, diabetes or arthritis. It might not have the same outward physical component as a broken leg, but it is still a condition that affects the body.
    The brain is our most complex organ. All the intricate chemical and electrical impulses associated with its function can break down. Mental illness is a brain disorder. Because of its complexity, research and medical treatments continue to evolve. Success rates rise as more is learned about genetics and the use of medications in treatment.
    There are advocates that believe that mental health should not be singled out in its own category, but should be included in an overall health picture. Your brain is not a separate functioning organ, so why should any of its disorders be treated as removed from any other disease? Your body’s health issues don’t start below the neck.
    For years, health insurance companies have treated mental illness as a completely separate part of their coverage with stringent restrictions and dollar limits. It fostered the perception that it was different from other health issues. Many people don’t realize that a law passed in 2008 began requiring insurance companies to treat mental and behavioral health and substance abuse disorder coverage …
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/07/the-stigma-of-mental-health/

Lametamor
    Participant

Zelda Ombrero the ‘good to talk’ campaign on Rethink : Mindapples: “you will forget what people said, you will forget what they said but you will remember how they made you FEEL.” Talking about suicide makes me feel like ********** and murder. I don’t know how to solve this paradox or the meaning of it but : the one thing that’s going to send me screaming over the highest cliff I can find, is someone rushing at me trying to save me. I certainly do not want to be in this life. I do not want to be here. My son is being slowly tortured to death in a secure institution. dying of disease would be bad enough, he is being murdered by degrading and humiliating force treatment. I get to the edges of cliffs and rivers, cannot jump. Damn ! Trapped in life. All I can do is try and find some equanimity, at the same time kidding I am no better, have no more hope than an animal being driven up the ramp in the slaughterhouse. and no dammit I do not want ‘therapy’ if my son cannot be cured I want him to at least die a death with some dignity remaining. how can the idiots go on treating him when after 20 years the treatment hasn’t worked, after every drug in the sun, all kinds of approaches. Who are the mad ones exactly ? Must be all of us.

Lametamor
    Participant

Saphron Watson SHUT THEM DOWN! They are not a functioning charity… any longer but a business! (Sue me if I am wrong don’t argue just do it) If a demon that is in partnership with the Devil; is up on a charge for assault, but the Devil presiding over the case; is the acting Judge; would the angel get a fair trial? NO!
    #CitizensAdviceBureau Had funding cut from the government’ but has now jumped into a nice warm comfortable bed with many top Devilish Companies the list you will see below! Be prepared to be shocked!

I challenged them on this conflict of interest stating that they could not represent the poor when they were being paid by the same people that they were making claims against! My three page epistle to Citizen Advice Bureau returned with only (one) sentence they did not deny being funded and being in partnership with big Devil companies! Shut them Down!

The Manager responsible for Fundraising Responded to my letter! His one line response is not surprising since he is the Fundraiser! Shut them down!

While #legalaid has been cut along with many public services this charity was the only hope and dream that the poor thought they could rely on. How wrong! For even during these times of austerity, where the poor comes last; #CitizensAdviceBureau got paid their salaries by the same companies who you are or were complaining against! Is that fair? Shut them Down!

#CitizensAdviceBureau has compromised their services as they were brought out by their own gluttonous greed to survive employment and as such it would be impossible to really give legal advice against those who are paying for your existence top operate.

I leave it to you; my intelligent readers to decide whether you believe that such a charity compromised by the rich firms and even banks; could represent you and your interests. Please spread this link to shut them down remember you must copy and paste link twice for it to work
    Our current supporters
    Citizens Advice would like to thank the following organisations that work in partnership with us:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0NsCx8CQAAnc0b.jpg

Lametamor
    Participant

Panda Devon Where does this go – “speaking out against psychiatry”? I have joined many forums, I blog myself, I go to meetings etc. A lot of people ARE speaking out against psychiatry but HOW can we influence the big boys – governments, doctors etc. Some of the events I have attended are even fronted by GPs who KNOW “emotional disturbances” are family, societal and abuse related but even THEY don’t speak AGAINST the system for fear of being “ex-communicated” / “de-barred”. From my experience a lot of people are doing a lot of work on this subject but we are predominantly all speaking in our own groups and feel absolutely POWERLESS to change a Victorian system. If we had alternatives and didn’t end up in a GP surgery in the first place, if parents had an alternative to a GP to take their children; then psychiatry would die because no-one would end up in the hands of the medical system in the first place. But without finances and alternatives – how will these abuses EVER EVER change.
    I despair about so much at the moment and most of it relates to the complete and utter feeling of POWERLESSNESS without our “society”.

Lametamor
    Participant

Laurie C Parker next month i see my Dr. I am feeling so sick from what i assume is Clozaril. I am on 600mg per day. When i get up around 2.30pm most days i just feel so sick, i have no energy. Its hard to be motivated to go to the gym, but i do every day during the week. Its ironic that these drugs are meant to help people cope and live a normal life, but thats just not possible for me. I never used to feel this bad. I can hardly eat even though i am hungry. I hope he might put me on something else or reduce the dose. My stomach feels awful
    https://injectedwithapoison.wordpress.com/ https://instagram.com/lphenomenal/

Lametamor
    Participant

Dave Umbongo Robert Anton Williams on Reality tunnels

Each second that passes our brain is bombarded with billions of data from which we select to make our own unique map the world –
    “our brain selects a small portion and makes a picture then projects that outside – that’s our reality, our reality tunnel.”
    Then we kid ourselves that this map is Reality and the same world we all inhabit – because its the only world there is, because its our world.

The map becomes a tunnel – our tunnel vision allows us to see only the reality our tunnel allows us to see. Our reality tunnel leads us and restricts us to live the life our reality tunnel creates and sets out for us…
    https://recoverynetworktoronto.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/reality-tunnels-robert-anton-wilson/

Lametamor
    Participant

Robin Matisse Sky Are we over-treating the elderly with psychiatric drugs?
    That’s the natural question arising from a recent report that found adults over 65 are receiving psychotropic medications at twice the rate of younger adults. The study, published in this month’s Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, also found that elders are much less likely to get their mental health care from psychiatrists or to receive psychotherapy.
    What’s the problem? First, psychotropic drugs generally pose greater risks to the elderly than they do to younger patients, and non-drug approaches, from therapy to meditation, may be as effective as psychotropic medications for some seniors’ mental disorders, without the risks.
    The findings suggest that physicians and insurers should reassess psychotropic drug use among the elderly, says lead author Donovan Maust, a geriatric psychiatrist and assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan.
    Maust’s team used 2007-2010 data from the CDC’s National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey and from the U.S. Census to compare the rates at which older and younger adults — those 65 and older, and those 18-64 — get prescribed psychotropic medications during outpatient doctors’ visits. After analyzing more than 100,000 of these doctor visits, and taking into account the fact that the younger population is much larger than the older one, the researchers found that older adults were much more likely to be prescribed psychiatric drugs…
    http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2015/07/psych-meds-seniors?utm_content=buffer9ebd9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

Lametamor
    Participant

Yvonne Dawson Knowing the Difference Between Freedom and Psychiatry

Sometimes I refer to myself as a person diagnosed with mental illness. Sometimes I also refer to some people as “people in danger of being diagnosed with mental illness.” Although I realize that a large portion of people wouldn’t agree with the second label, because it discourages people from seeking “help.”

I had a mother who was against seeking “help” for me when I developed the symptomology of what is called schizophrenia when I was a teen. I was allowed to be a free person, un-drugged, unconfined, uncensored, with my own volition, etc. I lived like that for at least 7 years before I saw a psychiatrist; I did not start seeing a psychiatrist at a later point because of symptoms that started out mild and got more severe. My most severe symptoms, of what is diagnosed as schizophrenia, where when it began when I was 14.

Actually, I became unable to work due to my life situation, and was experiencing the symptoms usually diagnosed as major depression. I applied for disability, since I was unable to work, but my application kept getting rejected. Finally, a friend told me that I need medical documentation to get disability – so began my involvement with psychiatry.

My first psychiatrist was ok. He was on older man, and an osteopath. He prescribed me the lowest possible dosages of medication. But then I wound up living with a man that insisted that I need inpatient treatment, and pretty often. I became very suicidal. The doctors I had begun seeing started treating me with the strongest drugs they have, for example, Haldol. I no longer had any friends. I wound up with this man (whom eventually became my husband), and whom encouraged my frequent inpatient treatment, for 20 years.

Anytime I cried a lot; any time he didn’t agree with me, or rather my thoughts were “wrong” according to him, etc., I was called crazy and encouraged to go into the mental hospital. It has been a long struggle. Luckily right before I had children, in the middle of all of this, I met a wonderful freelance mental health advocate who encouraged me to stop taking medication, and explained to me how the cycle of going on and coming off the medication was making me suicidal.

I have been in the hospital since then, but with much less frequency than before. I know that I do better off of their medications because I lived for so many years, with what is diagnosed as mental illness, without medication; I saw how badly I deteriorated on it; and saw my recovery staying off of it. No matter how many pharmaceutical studies say otherwise, I know the truth, at least for me. And I must add that I like freedom much better!

Note Added: The psychiatrist has been put in the position of God or the government, given sovereignty over patients diagnosed with severe mental illness, and allowing for great abuse of this position, especially when the psychiatrist’s and the patients have differing belief systems; the psychiatrist is able to enforce their belief systems over the patient’s, often in an illegal manner, going against current statutes and constitutional law.
    http://mental-health-advocacy-group.bravesites.com/ http://mybiblicalstudiesatliberty.yolasite.com/yvonne-dawsons-page-for-locating-her-other-pages.php https://ydawson1.wordpress.com/ http://yvonne-dawsons-theology-biblical-studies.bravesites.com/blog [email protected] [email protected]

Lametamor
    Participant

Dennis Deangelo The story of the 9-year-old who has been taking Abilify for the past five years is heartbreaking, but is becoming increasingly common. Abilify is a neuroleptic, with horrendous adverse effects. One of the adverse effects is tardive dyskinesia.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlVxv5ag0pQ

Lametamor
    Participant

Jason Kalendek “Learned helplessness is a psychological condition in which a human or animal has learned to believe that it is helpless. It thinks that it has no control over its situation and that whatever it does is futile. As a result it will stay passive when the situation is unpleasant or harmful and damaging.” (Wikipedia)
    I think about those who are said to have “learned helplessness” and ask myself, who taught it to them? Why, it’s Martin Seligman, father of positivist psychology, advisor to torturers [1] who coined the term “learned helplessness” (Seligman, 1998, 1975). The lack of ethics involved in Seligman’s now famous “experiment’ echoes through decades even as he denies supporting torture [2] today. This lack reflects too in psychiatric services as well as in military institutions. The connection is too brightly drawn between Martin the dog torturer, Martin, the lecturer to SERE [3] (Mayer, 2008) and Martin, the father of “positive” psychology. But, denial surrounding these connections is hardly unique to Martin. Often its spore exists only in language, the way we talk about the “other”. That language, dismissive, hopeless, is applied to people in various kinds of intractable distress. That language is applied to people so disenfranchised that they might well be without any voice.
    Empowerment, recovery, agency all butt up against extreme curtailment of choice at the point where risk must be taken in order for growth to occur. Through control and containment of what is perceived as out of control or about to be out of control, helplessness is taught. Through “black sites’ and Guantanamo, helplessness is taught. Through labeling and long term captivity, tortured and troubled people alike are taught so well that they often never work, marry

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Why-Isn-t-it-Called-Taugh-by-naomi-pinson-130709-204.html

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

On word choice, this thread, call me a quibbler if you must, I prefer “survivor narrate” over “victim narrate”. A narrator may be a victim, or a narrator may be a survivor. Autopsy might be considered a form a narration as well. That a survivor has survived goes without saying. That a victim has is much less certain. Victim as a role in life is something that I would not encourage. Survival puts some people, eventually anyway, beyond a victim role and status. The question then is where does your focus reside, on survival or victimization. As a parallel, sure, there are rape victims. Some of those victims are no longer among the living. There are also rape survivors. None of those rape survivors ended at the scene of the crime. I refer to myself as a psychiatric survivor because I have survived psychiatric (mal)treatment. I don’t refer to myself as a victim of psychiatric (mal)treatment because my psychiatric (mal)treatment is history. The past need not be so oppressive when you’ve got a present and/or a future.

I had a college teacher once who contrasted thriving with merely surviving. I think he wanted to take a cheap shot at the psychiatric survivor identity. I considered the matter moot. Did one not survive, there would be no thriving. Thriving definitely doesn’t mean somebody hasn’t survived something or other. As for going beyond surviving, that’s not thriving, that’s dead.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.