Sunday, September 27, 2020

Who's writing/blogging for the Absolute Prohibition Forced Treatment? (29 March)

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Who's writing/blogging for the Absolute Prohibition Forced Treatment? (29 March)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lily.c
    Participant

Hey, so the Committee on Rights of Persons with Disabilities is convening on March 29 at the U.N. in Geneva. And the psychiatric survivor organizers of CHRUSP (Users and Survivors group) are looking to gather people’s voices in support of absolute prohibition of forced drugging, ect, etc.
    https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/01/campaign-to-support-crpd-absolute-prohibition/

“Survivors, service (ex-)users, allies, researchers, lawyers, academics, service providers, journalists, concerned citizens of the world…
    Write from your heart and mind about any aspect of the absolute prohibition and why it is needed: the harm done by forced drugging; solidarity and building an inclusive society where all people are equal.
    Link your argument or statement to CRPD (especially Articles 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 25(d), 28), and express your support for absolute prohibition (new paradigm in CRPD).”
    Participating bloggers should email [email protected] ASAP! to let her know what blog they’ll be making their post on.
    https://absoluteprohibition.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/introducing-the-campaign-call-to-action/

I’ll probably write an article on my tumblr and queue it to be published on the 29th. Who else is in?

oldhead
    Participant

Hopefully everyone here in some way shape or form…thanks for the reminder.

oldhead
    Participant

I’m having trouble figuring out how/where to post something, if I get what we’re supposed to be doing here.

lily.c
    Participant

If you have your own blog, post it there and email [email protected] to let her know, and she’ll republish it / share it at the U.N.
    If you don’t, just email your writing to her directly.
    I know, the format’s a bit confusing!

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

Although I support the CRPD, I found a problem in trying to connect to the articles of the document. I’ve reached, more or less, an impossible impasse on the language used. I’m not a part of any “patient rights” movement. My patience with bureaucracy and torture ran out years ago. I prefer to think of myself as a participant in the mental patients’ liberation movement. My concern is HUMAN rights. Forced treatment preceded the legalese and distinctions we’ve got today. Had we the right to refuse treatment, the right to treatment wouldn’t be such an issue. “Mental disability”, “psycho-social disability”, or whatever you want to call your evasion is no more preferable than “mental illness”, in fact, it is worse. “Mental disability”, in my view, gives the “mental illness” excuse a degree of permanence that it doesn’t automatically have, and that it doesn’t need. I see much more virtue in the ability to walk away from the mental patient role. With freedom comes responsibility, and in the “mental illness” excuse, updated to the status of “disability”, your evasion of such responsibility has to impact your freedom in a negative manner.

lily.c
    Participant

Frank, I’m not engaged in any fucking evasion. Yes, your concern is human rights. MY CONCERN is human rights. Tina Minkowitz’s concern is human rights. The official bodies of the UN are unlikely to ever use the same language and frameworks as us, and further, they’re inevitably mouthpieces for ruling-class governments, whereas I am an anarchist-communism farmworker on medicaid. WE KNOW THIS ALREADY. This is just one tactic that some comrades of mine have taken up to seek some protections in international law. Of course it’s more important to build up autonomous survivor culture and agitation. Please, check who the fuck you’re talking to.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by lily.c.
    The_cat
    Participant

Writing for the prohibition forced treatment…

All I really do is spread the word that opposition to what psychiatry does exists because most of their victims don’t know there is any.

The less credibility psychiatry has the less power they have so every ‘anti psychiatry’ link , video or even image posted anywhere online that gets views erodes their credibility and power.

Copy and paste paste paste !

It works offline too.

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

My apologies, I’m certainly not blaming you. I didn’t want to imply that you were being evasive yourself. I’m just not sure where to go on the language matter. As you can see, it’s something of a problem for me. I guess I can just see about spitting it out, and see how it goes.

lily.c
    Participant

Sorry Frank, didn’t mean to go off on you. It is worrying how much room the ‘peer support and recovery’ narrative is taking up in the popular imagination, with fewer outposts for survivors and madpeople to see themselves as a distinct group with different/opposing interests than the mental health establishment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.