Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Why Psychotherapy?

Home Forums Organizing for Social Change Why Psychotherapy?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nomadic
    Participant

Rather than spend hours each day debating back and forth and listening to people who want to call me ‘Dude’, I’m going to try and state concisely here how I view psychotherapy, and why I think it is important to oppose it.

So I ask Why Psychotherapy?, meaning why do we have such a thing, how and why do people get involved in it, and why do we need to take an aggressive stance against it. And I acknowledge that I might not be perceiving the whole situation, and so my picture of it might be skewed.

I am not personally interested in maintaining a distinction between psychotherapy or psychiatry. While yes, some of it certainly worse than other sorts, I still don’t see the distinction as being that important. So when I speak of psychotherapy, I am including all forms of psychoanalysis and psychiatry.

I am inspired here by Simone de Beauvoir. Writing about the struggle to obtain women’s reproductive choice rights in Algeria, she explained that rather than just demanding contraception rights, they set the bar of rejecting subjugation lower and fought openly for abortion rights.

I see psychotherapy as the same kind of an issue. Rather than just go after psychiatry, set the bar of abuse and con game tolerance lower, and go after all forms of psychotherapy.

So why and how did I ever end up in psychotherapy? Well, it seems to me that young adults are subjected to huge amounts of conformist pressures. So there I was having totally submitted, working a corporate job which really no longer offered me much more than frustration, and ending up in a marriage which was even worse. I was in a state of misery.

So I asked myself, is life supposed to be like this? Is there someone who can tell me what is wrong?

So I was oblivious to the fact that my misery had to do with the negative environment that I grew up in, or to the ways that I was used. So as I reached for the Yellow Pages, I like most people had no idea that if you want to solve problems, you should consider contacting an Attorney. I skipped past that section and soon was looking under Psychotherapists.

And then of course the idea that my issues my really be political issues, things which should be solved by aggressive activism, and that they were things which could never be resolved alone, never occurred to me at all.

My my. Though sometimes it does not seem like it, I really have progressed.

So soon I was there in the doctor’s office. A nice man, a very good listener, and also expensive.

For some reason I thought this man could tell me things about myself, that I could not find out for myself just as well. And for some reason I thought that was a good use of my time and money, and gasoline, to go to his office.

Why couldn’t I think of better options? Why couldn’t I create some better options for myself?

So how often is it like this, completely voluntary, the mark picks up the Yellow Pages and selects himself a therapist?

My initial feeling is that the vast majority of entries into the psychotherapy system are like this, largely voluntary.

As far as people getting Committed by a Court, I’ve never been involved in this and I don’t know how common it actually is. And when it happens, how much prior contact with therapists has there been, and how much tacit collusion does the victim have?

And then people get 5150ed. How much are they doing intentionally to cause this? Guy I know was clearly having a mid-life crisis. He needed a new marriage and new career. But rather than face this directly he started acting like a jerk and causing problems because he knew his wife would clean them up. Then he treated the police the same way, and soon he was in our County psych ward. They’d of let him out eventually. I don’t know what kind of meds they gave him. But that would have been the end of it, unless he listened to them.

As it was he left with a diagnosis and a prescription, convinced that he suffered from a ~~brain chemical imbalance~~ and that he would need to be on mood altering drugs for the rest of his life, otherwise he could suffer another crack up. And so he did nothing to resolve the problems in his life, or to try and look under the surface and see how it got that way, but he did get into a great deal more trouble.

With most people, if you complain about anything, they will suggest psychotherapy. If you criticize psychotherapy, they will say, “Are you sure you don’t need it.”

If you say anything about familial childhood experiences, they will insist upon therapy, recovery, or religion.

And of course it is worse on Recovery Movement Online forums. Of anyone they don’t agree with they say, “needs therapy”.

Once I posted some good Daniel Mackler stuff, and they said he “obviously needs therapy”, and then they expelled me and would go on to post all about how I was a “narcissistic abuser”, even though I had never said a single thing about anyone else’s stuff, but only shared my own attempts to make sense of the world I have lived in.

Now true, I never talk is this confessional and penitent recovery mode. I don’t believe in that.

And then with the medications, most of the people who take it seem to believe in it and they seem to like it. But these meds are prescription for a reason, they are addictive and they do seem to people to make their problems go away, not unlike ethanol, cocaine, or heroin. So you need a prescription. But all varieties of psychotherapy professionals have tried to work it so that they are authorized to put people on meds, because they know that increases their professional status and income.

So the people who would want to do something about middle-class child exploitation are gone to narcotics, plus the stuff they can prescribe for themselves and buy on the street.

And then I know that the very worst sorts of psychotherapy are what are dispensed to the people without money. It is intended to denigrate and subdue, because the authorities see such persons as a moral problem, in that they don’t have employment or income. So the doctors simply try to crush these people’s spirits.

The ones I know who are the very bottom of the barrel, are the ones who answer our County’s 24hr Suicide and Crisis Hotline. They are not really licensed psychotherapists, but this does not stop them from completely dismissing people’s issues and denigrating them. And you could not do that without the protection of the telephone system and anonymity. My position is that there should be a covert sting to collect recordings, and then that these telephone counselors should be lined up against a wall and shot. And I mean shot over just words, voluntarily sought and listened to. I say this because they are tricking people into disclosing personal matters, and then they are abusing this in the grossest possible of ways.

Sometimes people end up speaking to counselors of one sort or another, as these counselors are the entry level administrators, for things like schools, or for things people end up in like 1/2 way houses or foster care, or they are things like probations or parole officers.

Often what these people do has similarity to psychotherapy, and it is not really voluntary, sometimes completely involuntary.

I met someone who had sued in federal court to get out from under it, naming the suit all the people who run about a dozen state agencies.

Now of course most of this stuff bites the hardest on the poor. And it is seen as a kind of poor people regulation.

But then some is directed against middle-class children, and directly by their parents. This is horrid! But as I know usually if they send the kid to a shrink, the parents end up going too, and in that case since the parents will at least to a degree need to listen to the shrink, and so it can be good.

So maybe I’ve said enough, and I’m sure there are many who know vastly more about these matters than I.

But let me try to summarize what should be the most important facets of my view:

1. Very few end up in psychotherapy except when there are underlying childhood exploitation issues which are still unredressed. The doctor will make them believe that their should be no redress, only learning to live in the collapsed space of social possibilities which remains. And so in carrying out this role and causing societal denial, we have to see that these therapists qualify as being absolutely EVIL.

2. What therapy is really about is learning how to conform, and this is the real problem with it, and this goes straight back to Freud.

3. The gov’t should have zero connection to psychotherapy, just as it is supposed to be with religion. When it is that way, then probably it can just be considered free speech. But children still need to be protected from both therapists and their parents. And if someone doesn’t like the gov’t doing this, just let me handle it instead. I will get quick, concise, and expedient results.

4. So what you have is psychotherapy being used to silence and stupefy those who should have the most cause to rebel against Capitalism and the Middle-Class Family. So you have to understand psychotherapy is this light, and this is exactly how Freud saw it himself.

5. We should be providing people with other options for political engagement and personal growth. I say it comes down to self-awareness and political consciousness. And you therapist is not going to help with this because they are the opposite of a revolutionary. They are more like a vacuum cleaner, an anti-radicalizer.

6. One of the very best alternatives, as I see it, was the Black Panthers. They offered political consciousness raising and political activism. Far better than punching pillows in the therapists office. We should be offering similar things.

What do other people think?

Nomadic
    http://freedomtoexpress.freeforums.org/why-psychotherapy-t218.html#p421

Amy Winehouse – You know I’m no good. Live in London 2007
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QDDzaY1LtU

Frank Blankenship
    Participant

I am not personally interested in maintaining a distinction between psychotherapy or psychiatry. While yes, some of it certainly worse than other sorts, I still don’t see the distinction as being that important. So when I speak of psychotherapy, I am including all forms of psychoanalysis and psychiatry.

I do the opposite because I feel the opposite is more correct, that is, when I speak of psychiatry I am including psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is a variant of psychiatry. Today this is not as true as it once was when Fraud, whoops, I mean Freud was king. Today you have psychologists, social workers, and even pee-ers indulging in analysis.

I see psychotherapy as the same kind of an issue. Rather than just go after psychiatry, set the bar of abuse and con game tolerance lower, and go after all forms of psychotherapy.

I have to go after coercive psychiatry first, and then go from there. I appreciate that people have so many complaints about the entire messy business. I’d be happy to see it go the way of the sabre-tooth cat and the woolly mammoth. The concept of “mental illness”, too.

So I was oblivious to the fact that my misery had to do with the negative environment that I grew up in, or to the ways that I was used. So as I reached for the Yellow Pages, I like most people had no idea that if you want to solve problems, you should consider contacting an Attorney. I skipped past that section and soon was looking under Psychotherapists.

I see another problem in attorneys. This country was fashioned, in large measure, by attorneys. Many attorneys, in fact, are politicians in training. I don’t love law so much. I think we’ve got way too many laws, and especially way too many ‘stupid laws’.

I do agree however that political activism has got to have psycho-therapeutic BS sessions beat hands down.

Nomadic
    Participant

Time to use attorneys to strike where they are most needed, at the middle-class family, because by design it exploits children, and then leaves them with no avenue for redress.

“You are not alone. Seeking justice for survivors of childhood abuse is more than a job — it’s our cause.”
    http://www.andersonadvocates.com/

We need some attorneys who will go after the middle-class family with the same zeal that Jeff Anderson uses going after the Catholic Church.

David Smail, who I believe offers the critique of psychotherapy and gives us the answers we need:
    https://www.madinamerica.com/forums/topic/if-we-are-so-many-why-we-dont-feel-better/page/3/#post-76635

So besides reading Smail, the issue here is to select some actions, even if not everyone is in complete agreement. As of today I am going after an ever widening body of neo-liberal First Born ( meaning family system legitimated ) politicians. I believe that I can bring at least some of them down.

But soon I also want to be going after the middle-class family and psychotherapists.

Nomadic

Justin Timberlake – Rock Your Body
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSVHoHyErBQ

Nomadic
    Participant

Making the public private

Psychology is the principal tool which has been used to privatize the public world in which actions really count. Almost by definition, the focus of psychology is on what goes on, supposedly, inside the isolated individual. The private world of beliefs, desires, disembodied thoughts and ‘cognitions’ becomes the arena in which we believe we have to operate in order to change our lives. This is indistinguishable from belief in magic, for it places us in an immaterial, interior world whose main contacts with external reality are wishful rather than actual. It is absolutely no accident that there has in recent years been a resurgence in frankly magical and religious systems of belief and that these have become increasingly interwoven (as in ‘alternative medicine’) with popular conceptions of science. What we fail to recognize is that, certainly in the psychological sphere, what we take to be ‘scientific’ is for the most part magic.

The prevention of individual citizens’ participation in public space is the central strategy of a program of systematic disempowerment which leaves the resources of the material world exposed unresistingly to corporate plunder. Politics is virtually eradicated – the ‘third way’ announces an end to conflict of interest, and in a sense this is all too true: the only interests left are those of big business, which rules largely undisturbed by the opposition of those (the vast majority) whom it damages. As I shall elaborate when I come to consider the concept of ‘responsibility’, the social havoc that is wreaked by unfettered economic greed comes to be interiorized as the personal weakness and irresponsibility of those principally affected.

http://www.davidsmail.info/

Nomadic

Santana – Smooth ft. Rob Thomas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Whgn_iE5uc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Organizing for Social Change’ is closed to new topics and replies.