Sunday, September 27, 2020

Withdrawing slowly off Benzodiazepines?

Home Forums Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal Withdrawing slowly off Benzodiazepines?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tikobird
    Participant

I just wanted to get some feedback about slowly tapering off Clonazepam (Klonopin). I’ve been on it for decades but the last few years have only taken it for sleep. I take 1 mg. per night. My doctor wants me off it due to possible memory problems in the future. I Have Generalized Anxiety Disorder so I’m scared about being out of them. Can anyone fill me in?

The_cat
    Participant

Quitting 1 mg shouldn’t be that bad if you do it real slow. I had to quit 8 mg once, what a nightmare. I always say watch out for what I call part two where they want to get you started on some “non addictive” make you feel like a zombie stuff that doesn’t work but also comes with that withdrawal part. I get it about being scared of being out, maybe hoard some up sometimes its easier not taking one when you have some.

I don’t know if I buy that future memory problem argument as an excuse to force a withdrawal. Wonder if this doctor has other motivations like getting his prescribing levels down cause he writes more then average and got flagged by the agency that tracks that.

tikobird
    Participant

My psychiatrist told me about dementia possibilities two years ago and still; wants me off them. Most psyches do. If you look it up most websites confirm it may lead to dementia. I look these things up. It’s documented from studies that have been done. A few have set not. I’ve been taking them for 35 years due to a psychiatrist warning me to stay on them. Years ago I took 1 mg. 3 times a day.

I already have problems with insomnia and a dissociative disorder called Depersonalization disorder which is frightening and sometimes gives you a great deal of anxiety. I won’t do it by myself and my doctor sounds like he wants me too. I need some supervision.

The_cat
    Participant

I am free of it now and it is better but I do miss taking them even thought it was a nightmare I only remember the good part sometimes.

Let us know how it goes.

tikobird
    Participant

Maybe you could tell me how you did it, and how long it took. I’d like to know how you handle anxiety now.

The_cat
    Participant

Maybe you could tell me how you did it, and how long it took. I’d like to know how you handle anxiety now.

I quit drinking every day and my anxiety got better. If I drink once a month its a lot now. I was bad, drinking and taking all these pills. The idea was to use benzos instead of alcohol but it wasn’t long before I always drank with it. I went to a treatment center for detox rehab and all that. That’s why I say beware of “part 2” all the so called non addictive stuff for anxiety, the zombie mood remover pills. Anti depressants ‘mood stabilizers’ bla bla bla shit never helped. Made things worse. I think enough people have spoken out they seem to have backed of with doing that to everyone.

I had “medication spellbinding”

“Dr. Peter Breggin’s concept of medication spellbinding provides insights into why so many people take psychiatric drugs when the drugs are doing more harm than good. Psychiatric drugs, and all other drugs that affect the mind, spellbind the individual by masking their adverse mental effects from the individual taking the drugs. If the person experiences a mental side effect, such as anger or sadness, he or she is likely to attribute it to something other than drug, perhaps blaming it on a loved one or on their own ‘mental illness’.” https://breggin.com/intoxication-anosognosia-medication-spellbinding/

I was experiencing sever anxiety I blamed it on my own anxiety disorder instead of its true cause the rebound reaction of drinking and taking benzos to make it go away.

The roughest part about quitting benzos is that awful feeling in the beginning seems permanent, people said you will feel better in a few weeks didn’t matter it felt like I would never feel better did not matter what anyone said.

If you have been taking them for decades at one point you have run out or lost them you know what happens.

I really know more of what not to do more then what to do. One thing not to do is mistake how you feel during withdrawal as a permanent condition. I still get anxiety but never anxiety attacks, going into that hell space, since I quit that stuff and anxiety attacks was always what was behind the fear of running out.

tikobird
    Participant

I can relate to your situation. I have a history of both alcoholism and some drug dependency in my family. I had plenty of anxiety before ever taking any meds for it. Did you go off things on your own? I have a big history of alcoholism in my family but I never had a problem with it. I only drank once in a while socially. I was seeing a therapist about anxiety, panic, and insomnia. Maybe I need to learn what not to do as you said. Since elementary school, I had horrible self-esteem. A therapist thought it was due to my parent’s lack of attention. My siblings and I have had no rules and structure and my father drank until I was about 9. He scared me just watching him sway back and forth and mom had anxiety too. I had an uncle who’d lock me in the bathroom when I was 4. Let’s just say most friends know nothing of my past. My past has created a messed up present. I hope I feel some sort of hope. I usually don’t.

The_cat
    Participant

It makes no sense to me when I hear people complain of anxiety panic and insomnia and tell me they don’t drink at the same time. Wile it certainly makes it worse in the long run but nothing works better on acute anxiety then alcohol. Unfortunately alcohol does not work so well on benzo withdrawal anxiety. Just doesn’t hit the spot on that for some reason.

The big withdrawal from the high doses I was in treatment but I have done withdrawal myself from so called relapses when I come across access to benzos and started messing around again.

tikobird
    Participant

Why can’t you understand it??? People treat anxiety with different modes of self medication. I’ve had anxiety since young but never thought of drinking. I was put on a benzodiazepine at 32 after postpartum depression. My current husband never drank or smoked and doesn’t take any medications. My mother also had anxiety but was not an alcoholic. Most people that continually drink are alcoholics. I don’t have any desire for alcohol even though I’d have a couple if I went out to dance when younger. I get double vision after 2 drinks. I’m in my 60s now and haven’t drunk alcohol since I was in my 40s. I never had it in the house. Maybe you haven’t spoken to enough people with an anxiety disorder. I was addicted to cigarettes but quit a while ago. They’re more addictive than other drugs. Hope you find more anxious people who’ve suffered from this disorder. You’ll find plenty who just wants a benzo to stop it. There is GAD Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety. Do you have one of these anxiety disorders?

The_cat
    Participant

I was 13 at a big family gathering when I discovered alcohol cured “social anxiety”. 13 is an awkward age for almost everyone, didn’t really know that at the time but I certainly knew feeling shy was a handicap and that outgoing people get what they want. I learned that day drinking removed inhibitions, barriers to success in my view and it was game on. Why should only natural extroverts have all the fun and popularity ?

By 11th grade I was drinking at parties every weekend. By my late 20s I had full on alcohol dependency.

tikobird
    Participant

My brother became an alcoholic and we grew up in a home with an alcoholic father. Out of four, two became alcoholics and two didn’t. I’m glad I didn’t.
    I understand what you’re saying because I felt more open when I’d had a few drinks. We had parties at our house while my mother worked nights as a nurse. My father stopped drinking when I was about 9. You sound v very similar to one of my brothers. He quit high school at 16 and if he wasn’t drinking he was doing some drugs. I said I couldn’t stand him and after he was sober he told me no one could have hated him more than himself. Years later our younger sister kept rolling her cars and would call me late at night making no sense. They both finally joined AA. My father was in AA too.
    I have to say with my father drinking I was a nervous wreck. It changed my self esteem. I ended up with none and thought I wasn’t as good as other people.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal’ is closed to new topics and replies.