Saturday, November 17, 2018

Zyprexa Withdrawal/Insomnia/Stuck on Olanzapine

Home Forums Psychiatric Drugs Zyprexa Withdrawal/Insomnia/Stuck on Olanzapine

This topic contains 49 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  JoseManuel 4 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Ertaimon
    Participant

Thank you for trying to be encouraging jimkhuynh, but the sad truth here is that Zyprexa is the one drug from which your brain will not heal from. I have been permanently destroyed as a human being from this drug. Every night I have realistic nightmares where I am being murdered. I never become sleepy, I go to sleep because of exhaustion from living in a tortured state. My life is totally destroyed since Zyprexa / Olanzapine. I can no longer function as I once did. I have severe cognitive impairment. I have no feelings or emotions at all, everything is just flat or more precisely EMPTY. I have no deeper creativity or imagination or motivation any more, its like I’m brain dead. This drug takes away what makes us humans. I am praying for terminal cancer, I can’t just live in this state of torment, My life is over.

Ertaimon
    Participant

Once again waking up from the middle of ultra-realistic nightmares where I am being killed, I am strangled to death, I drown on a cruise ship, I am being thrown off a balcony… what’s wrong…

arturmeireles
    Participant

Once again waking up from the middle of ultra-realistic nightmares where I am being killed, I am strangled to death, I drown on a cruise ship, I am being thrown off a balcony… what’s wrong…

But if you are on Olanzapine 15mg, how come you still have all these bad feelings?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  arturmeireles.

Ertaimon
    Participant

Even though I never become sleepy, I am able to get 5-6 hours sleep on 15mg Olanzapine, occasionally more with Pregabalin when using every other day to not gain tolerance. What bothers me is this drug causes the most twisted sick nightmares from hell, I do have read of people with fatal insomnia also get nightmares that seem absolutely realistic. I realize immediately after waking up that it was a dream, but in the moment it feels so real.

Ns2018
    Participant

I too have been prescribed with this medicine and every time I tried to discontinue I could not because of insomnia. What was worse is that when I restarted the insomnia does not dissipates immediately and takes months until the sleep is normal again. I am currently taking 5 mg and plan to continue taking for long until my life will allow me to go in one of detox clinics and discontinue under medical supervision. All I can say is that I feel very good on the med , except my weight and appetite for food. I have gained almost 15 lb in 2 years since I am on , but intend to start exercising more and try to control by other means my weight.
    I am on this site solely because I want to share my experience and to be support and encouragement for others that feel discouraged.

Mcrocker
    Participant

I’m just curious if anyone has successfully gotten off of zyprexa? I’ve taken it off and mostly on for the last 5 years. I have anxiety disorder and it did seem to help for awhile. It really helps me sleep. Ive tried getting off twice pretty much cold turkey and each time I develop severe insomnia. Last time I was off it for 24 days and I was started taking lunnesta and sleep. At first it was not bad got about 5 hours sleep a night. Woke up several times drenched in sweat. But by week 3 I was only sleeping 1-2 hours a night. I can’t function on no sleep so last night I started back on it (I’m on 7.5 mg) and I plan on trying to taper off. Just wondering if I’ll ever be able to get off this medication. Psychiatrist doesn’t want to say it’s from withdrawls but I’m convinced that’s what it is. Any thoughts? I feel bad that I broke down and took one. But I slept all night (did have the hangover feeling though). Help please.

Mcrocker
    Participant

Oh yea and it’s made me gain alot of weight and my anxiety has gotten out if control lately even while taking it.

Ns2018
    Participant

I have spoke with people and also read other people stories who successfully were able to discontinue by tapering very slowly.so it is doable. Good luck to you.

LouisS
    Participant

Hey everyone, read the messages in this forum for the first time after a whole night not sleeping a wink. Glad to have found you guys.

Now have to get up and go to work. Before though, A little about my experience and a q at the end.

I’ve been suffering severe insomnia on and off for the past 18months or so, after seveere insomnia kicked during a stressful time at work. I had a couple of nervous breakdowns (the first about ten years ago),which is when I was first prescribed olanzapine (Zyprexa).

In the past 18 months I have taken Olanzapine on and off, a few nights here and there when I’m desperate. Sometimes I’d take zopilcone one night, followed by Olanzapine the next night. Zopilcone would get me to sleep but I could not come off it. So then I’d have to take Olanzapine. Whereas I can come off olanzapine and sleep the next night.

I sleep fine on Olanzapine when I take it -best uninterrupted sleep there is for me. Feel wrecked the next day though, especially if I haven’t taken it for a while.

Problem is my susceptibility to severe insomnia increases massively after just a couple doses. So for that one night’s guaranteed sleep I have three months battling severe insomnia.

My advice: stay away from this drug if you can. Taper down when coming off. Don’t use as an ad-hoc sleeping aid as I have. Befro readinthis forum I concluded similar things to what others have said from what they learned:I went three months without taking it, and could feel myself slowly getting back to normal.

But then I suffered jetlag and needed it (2.5mg). I couldn’t sleep without being woken by a vivid nightmare. I had no other choice. Nothing else I had to hand was working.

Subsequent to that I have needed to take it several times, the most recent three weeks ago. Determined to try not to take again. But what’s an alternative, when you’re in a situation where if you don’t sleep,because you can’t take it, you end up just becoming psychotic? Thats when you have no choice,and maybe need an even higher dose. Any suggestions?

I just went on holiday for two weeks and slept pretty well. But I like my job and stress levels are not that bad, certainly could be worse. I just seem hyper sensitive, because of olanzapine.

I want to use valium, just to see if it can help me get out of a too wired to sleep spiral. I’ve had a cpl times and it can help. Wary of its addictiveness tho.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  LouisS.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  LouisS.

dmnaddicts
    Participant

I dunno where to start but i guess this is the right moment:

I am 35 now. I’ve been on olanzapine (Damn drug) for 13 years. I’ve tried to quit after 3 years. No sleep, anxious behavior, high-end paranoia… It’s lasted 46 days. Results were terrible: Lost my job, beat a guy up i havent seen before in subway so badly, “confused time and place(space)”. Also weird laughing and crying attacks…During these 46 days, i’d slept 2/3 hours a day. Minds and voices were dancing in my brain. Finally “have to” accept the olanzapine threatment back again.

4 years laters, i’d wanted to try my change again and quit for 26 days. Same things happened and guess what: back to olanzapine again.

I have effective disorder: schizoeffective. Also i was grown with a “huge” anxietic (social phobia) disorder.

Olanzapine has taken all “mania” from me, and now i am stuck depression state. (also having escitalopram 10mg’s)

Finally:

– I am static now, may be below stable
    – Have no mania so no courage
    – 4 days ago i tried to lower the dosage to 2,5mg’s/day but couldnt handle the voices in my head.

I do really wanna quit this drug at least switch to another one.

Any options or suggestions?

Thanks.

JoseManuel
    Participant

I quit Zyprexa cold turkey, but I was prepared for what it was coming. I had Haldol, Seroquel, Clonazepam, lamotrigine, vitamins injections and took time off the job. What I found most challenging is the sleep. If you sleep well chances are you are going to survive it. I tried mirtazapine, clonazepam, haldol, i could only sleep like 4 hours. It was until I started taking 150 mg seroquel + 1 mg of clonazepam that I’m sleeping 8 hours, the quality of the sleep is not yet optimal (refreshing) but I do rest and feel I slept. Its been like 60 days since I stopped the Zypreza cold turkey, after +- 10 years of taking 10 mgs daily.

I also found necessary to have a safety space where you can hide to experience the emotional meltdowns that will come along. Crying spells, mania, restlessness, dysphoria, etc. I used my bedroom and just endured until the end of the day to take the meds to go to sleep. I wouldn’t try it if I have no medications to address the insomnia, I think is doomed to fail quitting Zyprexa without sleeping. If you hear voices chances are you will need to take an antipsy no matter what, I also have to take some antipsy to prevent mania, but maybe you can get away with a relatively lower dose of a friendlier antipsy.

I selected Seroquel because it has powerful histaminic action that will put you to sleep (if I dont reach the bed soon I start to get dizzy and feel like laying down on the floor because how drowsy it makes me) but in the morning you feel fresh after 8 hours of sleep. And with Seroquel the times of binging on carbohydrates are over, the oversedation is over, blunted affect, bloated belly, depression, all that improved. I dont know if seroquel is for you though, you can ask your doc to try other antipsy because this one is giving you too much trouble. I think the are not reluctant to changes as long as you keep taking the antipsy. I find Zyprexa to be a medication for emergencies, but on a daily basis is exhausting.

Also be sure not to develop bad habits during your withdrawal, I used clonazepam to keep calm and to help with sleep but now I am hooked at least on 1 mg before sleep. Benzos are their own hell to withdraw so best to avoid to use them on a daily basis, Seroquel might be sedating enough to put you to sleep.

dmnaddicts
    Participant

I quit Zyprexa cold turkey, but I was prepared for what it was coming. I had Haldol, Seroquel, Clonazepam, lamotrigine, vitamins injections and took time off the job. What I found most challenging is the sleep. If you sleep well chances are you are going to survive it. I tried mirtazapine, clonazepam, haldol, i could only sleep like 4 hours. It was until I started taking 150 mg seroquel + 1 mg of clonazepam that I’m sleeping 8 hours, the quality of the sleep is not yet optimal (refreshing) but I do rest and feel I slept. Its been like 60 days since I stopped the Zypreza cold turkey, after +- 10 years of taking 10 mgs daily.

I also found necessary to have a safety space where you can hide to experience the emotional meltdowns that will come along. Crying spells, mania, restlessness, dysphoria, etc. I used my bedroom and just endured until the end of the day to take the meds to go to sleep. I wouldn’t try it if I have no medications to address the insomnia, I think is doomed to fail quitting Zyprexa without sleeping. If you hear voices chances are you will need to take an antipsy no matter what, I also have to take some antipsy to prevent mania, but maybe you can get away with a relatively lower dose of a friendlier antipsy.

I selected Seroquel because it has powerful histaminic action that will put you to sleep (if I dont reach the bed soon I start to get dizzy and feel like laying down on the floor because how drowsy it makes me) but in the morning you feel fresh after 8 hours of sleep. And with Seroquel the times of binging on carbohydrates are over, the oversedation is over, blunted affect, bloated belly, depression, all that improved. I dont know if seroquel is for you though, you can ask your doc to try other antipsy because this one is giving you too much trouble. I think the are not reluctant to changes as long as you keep taking the antipsy. I find Zyprexa to be a medication for emergencies, but on a daily basis is exhausting.

Also be sure not to develop bad habits during your withdrawal, I used clonazepam to keep calm and to help with sleep but now I am hooked at least on 1 mg before sleep. Benzos are their own hell to withdraw so best to avoid to use them on a daily basis, Seroquel might be sedating enough to put you to sleep.

Thank you JoseManuel, You’ve really described the situation that i could barely.

I’d been on Clonazepam for 3 years. Not daily but 2mg’s in the noon or middle of the day depending on my wake up. I take 4 or 5 tablets in a week. My doc says that i am addicted to Clonazepam and gotta quit but some days that’s the onliest thing keeps me alive.

I’ll talk to my doc for Seroquel cos this Olanzapine really keeps me out of the life. Also i am really happy about you to hear that you had quit it.

Ertaimon
    Participant

To add to the Zyprexa/Olanzapine hell I am in, I already had severe hyperacusis, tinnitus, misaphonia, phonophobia, PTSD, trigeminal neuralgia. I am in a protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal from Clonazepam and a protracted opioid withdrawal from Tianeptine. I have also been “Floxed” which is a term used by those who have been affected by Fluoroquinolone-class antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin) my situation is utterly unbearable. I am a closed off hermit with no human contacts, no education, no prospects of a career, my life is just pure misery, tell me one good reason why I shouldn’t want to ‘off’ myself. I have reached my limits.

Ertaimon
    Participant

I mean, I want to live but this existence is just pure hell, the worst symptom is total anhedonia, nothing gives me comfort anymore after the Zyprexa robbery, I could manage living still with the hyperacusis and other effects but I’ve had enough, I don’t want to die but I’ve had enough of this kind of torture.

JoseManuel
    Participant

Maybe if you address the Zyprexa issue you will have more energy, motivation and drive to work on the other issues. I’m on day 62 from stopping Zyprexa (10 mg for more than 10 years) and switched to Seroquel in a low dose (200 mg), I’m over the withdrawal and appreciating a lot the freedom from Zyprexa. Zyprexa made everything gray and dull for me. Why don’t you ask your doc to change to another antipsy? I was also a hermit, I had to be rescued and I’m fiding my way back.

I’ve joined a gym where I am part now of a boxing class, also relating to people at the weight lifting and maybe I’ll strike a friendship in the yoga class. The company of my dog is also very important. Once you (and I) get better then considering a partner in life can be realisting again. So it is a matter of time to make things work. You have to start with something, maybe switching the antipsy. If you are already at the border anything would be better than nothing.

Don’t give up, plan a strategy, it might involve high stakes and high risks, sacrifice and pain, etc, but at least is life-affirming. Start with something, let me know how it goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.