Created by mental health professional, ex-patient, and Mad in America blogger Monica Cassani, Beyond Meds is one of the largest archives of information about psychiatric drugs, withdrawal, alternative modalities of healing, ways to reconceptualize and reframe emotional distress, human rights issues in the mental health system, scientific research on psychiatry and mental health, and chronic illness.
The website’s psychiatric drug withdrawal section includes over 30 articles written by Monica Cassani, as well as Monica’s personal account of her life before, during, and after being on psychiatric drugs. Some article titles include:
- Introduction to Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal Syndrome
- Some Thoughts on Stopping Psychiatric Medications – Pros and Cons to Coming Off
- Protracted Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal Syndrome, Chronic Illness, CFS, Fibromyalgia. Yeah, They All Have Things in Common.
- Lamictal Redux
- Multiple Drug Sensitivity
- Chronic Pain (Psych Drug Withdrawal Induced and Chronic Pain in General Too)
- The “Start Small, Listen to Your Body” Taper Plan
- Support for Those in Withdrawal Who Struggle with Family & Friends Not Understanding
The section also includes a video of Dr. Joanna Moncrieff, psychiatrist and senior lecturer at University College London, about psychiatric drug withdrawal.
Beyond Meds is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including the Mary Karon Memorial Award for Humanitarian Concern and the Must Read Medical Blog Award. It was named among the Best Depression Blogs of the Year 2017 by Healthline, the Most Inspirational Blog by Asheville Blog Awards in 2008, and the Best Depression Blog by the Depression Treatment Center in 2013.