W-BAD is the official website for World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day, an international campaign to raise global awareness about iatrogenic benzodiazepine dependence and the dangers of its adverse effects and associated withdrawal syndrome.
W-BAD’s About BZDs section is a rich collection of facts and information that includes:
- An overview about benzodiazepines and Z-drugs and how they work, along with a video illustration of the neuroscience of benzodiazepines
- Information about various complications resulting from benzodiazepine use: dependence and tolerance, benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, protracted withdrawal syndrome, and functional brain changes
- Information on how benzodiazepines affect specific population such as women and people with PTSD
- information about the difference between addiction and dependence
- An explanation of the dangerous of stopping benzodiazepines cold turkey, as well as what to do if your doctor stops prescribing them
- Slow tapering protocols
- A fact sheet about the benzodiazepine problem
In addition to its About BZDs section, the W-BAD website offers advocacy and press materials to educate people about benzodiazepine use and withdrawal. The site also features YouTube videos made by benzodiazepine victims telling their withdrawal stories.