This week, we interview Daryl who was only 9 years old when he was taken into mental health services and medicated. He talks about being made to take both antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs and he describes the lies told to him to justify treatment. Daryl also talks very bravely about PSSD, Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Daryl was assessed and medicated at 9 years old after difficulties at school.
- How Daryl didn’t think that doctors would expose him to harm through the medications.
- That he thinks much of mental health diagnosis is a scam and based on belief.
- The difficulties Daryl experienced with PSSD, Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction.
- How he feels that his emotional distress was misinterpreted as mental illness.
- That Daryl felt forced to stop his medications cold turkey because of sexual difficulties and other physical effects
- That Daryl feels that his PSSD is irreversible and was caused by the antipsychotic medications.
- How the British National Formulary recognises PSSD and states it is one of the main reason for patients stopping antipsychotic medications.
- That Daryl feels inhuman compared to others and he feels that the drug manufacturers were allowed to cause him harm.
- How Daryl set up his own blog about PSSD to raise awareness http://pssdblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/pssd-blog.html
- That the risks of the medications are underplayed and not clear.
- That drugs have pushed much of the compassion out of mental health treatment.